Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

connect laptop to tv

by azyardies / August 4, 2007 8:29 AM PDT

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have an HP pavillion laptop with win XP. I have a movie i made with windows movie maker stored on the LTop. I also have it saved to a cd-r disc.

What do i need to do so that I can play the movie (running it from the saved movie on the Ltop, or playing the CD in it on the Ltop) on a TV. I would think that all I need is some sort of cable;the ones that have red/white/yellow ends on them or something similiar.
I want to show my family the mini tale i made on my 25" or 32" Sanyo tv, (and not my laptop)-- plez help.thanks in advance
Laptop=8100 series 1 1/2 yr old
tv=4 yrs old

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: connect laptop to tv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: connect laptop to tv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you have video out. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 4, 2007 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: connect laptop to tv

connectors on the laptop? You need either the yellow video or S-video out connectors. Do you have them? If not you're SOL.

Collapse -
connect tv to computer
by azyardies / August 4, 2007 5:31 PM PDT

i will tell u what my laptop has on its side: expansion port 2, then there is a circle with 7 holes in it with a pic of a camcorder next to it; i guess these are the ones to look for. the LT doesnt have an opening where a typical yellow cable (the ones that have the male end)would go.
you said, "You need either the yellow video or S-video out connectors. Do you have them?" I dont believe i got any kinds of cables with my LT.

Collapse -
It sounds like. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 4, 2007 9:27 PM PDT
In reply to: connect tv to computer

that circle with seven holes might be an S-video INPUT. Do you have the owner's manual or have you been to the laptop web site?

Collapse -
checked manual
by azyardies / August 6, 2007 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: It sounds like. . .

well, i checked the manual and it says it is a s-video out -so i guess the cable needed should have the spikes to insert into my LT-didnt say anything wlse as far as instructions how too. thks for ur help.what next

Collapse -
S video Cable
by brucev13 / August 6, 2007 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: checked manual

Obtain an S video cable. Hook it up from the S video out port on the laptop to an S video in port on your TV. You can then either have audio play from the laptop or obtain a audio cable to hook to laptop sound to the TV as well.

Bruce.

Collapse -
audio cable
by azyardies / August 7, 2007 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: S video Cable

thanks brucev13; What kind of audio cable would i need so that i can get the sound to come out of the tv (so i dont have to use the laptop for the sound)- If it is the ones that have yellow, red or white connections on it, I would not know where those fit on the LT & dont see those opeings anywhere. But the tv has the openings for either of those cables.
I would much rather see and hear the video coming from the tv cause it would sound nicer all the way around with the viewing of the video. thanks

Collapse -
No Prob
by brucev13 / August 7, 2007 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: audio cable

The audio cable you need has the RCA red and white connectors on one end for the input to the TV. The other end has a 3.5mm headphones type plug that is plugged into the head phones jack(audio out) of your laptop. This allows the audio coming out of your laptop to the input of your TV. See the link below for an example of this type of cable. I have never shopped at this store and only using as an example. you can purchase the cable from about any where. Wal-Mart would probably have them. This type of cable can also be used to play the music of an MP3 player or CD player through your TV or stereo device. Good luck
Bruce.
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=2004&sku=40612

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?