Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Connect laptop to HDTV

I am looking to connect my Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop to my HDTV to watch movies, surf the web, etc., and I was wondering what types of cables to use. My laptop has an S-Video port and a VGA port, and my HDTV has S-Video Ports, HDMI ports, and component cable ports. The two methods I was thinking of were 1) using a VGA to component cable to connect my laptop to the HDTV, and 2) getting a VGA to DVI converter which goes out of the laptop, and then from there connect the DVI cable to the HDMI slot in my HDTV. Which method would produce the best quality overall, and if there are any other methods, what are they? Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connect laptop to HDTV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connect laptop to HDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Be sure to read the usuals.

In reply to: Connect laptop to HDTV

Collapse -
i searched that

In reply to: Be sure to read the usuals.

Yea I searched that but none of the sites discussed which of the two would be better in terms of clarity and such

Collapse -
Remember that no HD content will play!

In reply to: i searched that

Let's say your PC had some BluRay player. Your laptop does not have a HDCP compliant output so any of the connections will fail to show up on that TV.

You might do fine with 1) using a VGA to component cable to connect my laptop to the HDTV but any further conversions are going to hurt.

Some want to play DVD this way but copy protections again stop you cold. Be sure to reveal what you are expecting.
Bob

Collapse -
vga to component

In reply to: Remember that no HD content will play!

So neither VGA or component produce HD quality? And the only way for me to get HD quality on my TV from my laptop would be by using a DVI cable, but the multiple conversions will basically distort the picture and sound quality, correct?

Collapse -
Sound is not converted so no loss there.

In reply to: vga to component

Whatever conversion you do, do it in one step or device. As to HD content you didn't tell what HD DVD or BluRay drive you had. It is an issue. As it stands now the best you could expect is to see what you see on your screen except protected video playback.
Bob

Collapse -
dvd drive

In reply to: Sound is not converted so no loss there.

Samsung HM320JI is my DVD drive model number, is that compatible with any of these connections?

Collapse -
Just so you know.

In reply to: dvd drive

While it's nice to see you have a DVD drive, that's not HD "content" and the issues of protection will stop you cold.

Let's ask one question. Why do this?

Collapse -
protection?

In reply to: Just so you know.

Im just looking for a change, to surf the web on my tv screen or watch some movie clips and view photos (like from a digital camera) on my tv. I suppose its not necessary for me to have HD content, I just dont want it to be really choppy and have cheap quality. And what do you mean by "I will be stopped cold by protection?"

Collapse -
Since no DVD commercial products...

In reply to: protection?

Go for the one-step conversion from VGA to component and get it done. There are plenty of articles on HDCP, the DMCA, DVD copy protection and so on. Since it's not why you are doing this, move right along to a solution.
Bob

Collapse -
i'll look up on that

In reply to: Since no DVD commercial products...

Alright, thanks for all your help on this matter. I just have one more question about the DVD drive. How can I find out what HD-DVD drives or BluRay drives are compatible with my laptop if I want to install one? (I have been thinking about that for some time)

Collapse -
That is ...

In reply to: i'll look up on that

One of those "you'll be surprised" issues. The internal drives are thankfully standard but let's not talk about the now dead HD DVD drives. This leaves us to look into Bluray.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118009&Tpk=slim%2bbluray

Ok, that's 350 for the drive. Can't you get a PS3 for that much? And it will NEVER play on your HDTV from your laptop. It's all about copy protection...
Bob

Collapse -
thanks

In reply to: That is ...

yea, I see what you're saying. I'll look into this a little more myself and see if this is really necessary for me. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
check out this link from techlore

In reply to: Connect laptop to HDTV

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.