General discussion

Connect Laptop to HDTV

I've a Sharp LC45GD4U (HDTV) unit which I really enjoy. I would like to be able to hook up my laptop to it also. Can someone help me with the connections? What kind of cable do I need to connect the two together?

I've a laptop with S-Video out.

I'm really hoping that I can use the TV screen as a giant computer monitor to surf the net or do some work.

Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Connect Laptop to HDTV
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Connect Laptop to HDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
S-VHS for video OK

Doesn't your laptop have a DVI output? This is what you need if you want to use your TV to see text from your laptop. S-Video will look like garbage on a TV screen when displaying text. If you want to watch a DVD on your laptop, then S-VHS is fine, but that's it. Text has so much fine details it really needs the digital video output.

- Collapse -
Connect Laptop to HDTV

Dan is correct. Your laptop should at least have a VGA socket on the back. What kind of connections does you TV have? John

- Collapse -
Connect Laptop to HDTV

My TV can handle RCA, DVI, HDMI, and S-Video as inputs.

My laptop can output in S-Video and has an external monitor output connector also (15 Pins which I think is the VGA socket).

I don't want to view any movies. I would just like to use it to surf the net and do my work on Excel and stuff by using my TV as a large screen monitor.

So, I'm hoping that I can make this work. Can you help?

- Collapse -
Good news,, Bad news.

If your laptop had a DVI connectore NO problem.
VGA is analog. DVI can be analog and digital. A friend of mine hooked up his Mac mini to his HDTV with a DVI cable no problem.
You can get adapters that will go on a DVI plug so you can use the analog part and have VGA. My guess it that you will ahve to a converter like the one in the link below. John

http://www.computercablestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=2969

- Collapse -
Connect Laptop to HDTV

Wow, that's expensive!!

Thanks for your responses. I'm going to go on ebay and see if I can get it at a reasonable price.

- Collapse -
Which is why most PCs are not meant for "Media"

If you purchase a computer that is designed for "mulit-media" (like a Mac), they come designed with a proper "video-out" port to plug into a new digital TV. Unfortunately, most PCs are designed for corporate business, which most of the time, doesn't include working with graphic or video. A PC can easily be retro-fitted with the proper video in/out cards, etc., but at a cost.

- Collapse -
different dvi cables

also keep in mind that there are a few versions of DVI cables out there, not all are the same. most common 3 are ones that transfers only analog signal (to a crt computer monitor), ones that transfer digital signal (to an lcd computer monitor), and one that transfers both analog and digital (mostly for tv's). these are not interchangable FOR THE MOST PART, so be careful

- Collapse -
Wow, this post needs an update!

If you're lucky enough to have DVI or HDMI on your laptop or HDTV, that's your best bet. But you'll need a separate audio cable for the DVI. Both DVI and HDMI are digital.

Chances are that your laptop isn't that new, but I'll bet you have a standard VGA/SVGA output. This will also support HD quality. Almost all new HDTVs have a VGA/SVGA input but they may call it a "PC input." You can buy an affordable VGA with audio cable at PCTVCables.com. This cable isn't available in stores.

CNET Forums

Forum Info