Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Connect Broadband Connection popup screen

Have a Dell desktop which came pre-loaded with Vista premium, and during a power down of my DSL router and NIMO router, Vista became convinced it needed to create a new internet connection. Well, 4 reboots later, just about every minute a splash screen pops up looking a user name and password to connect broadband connection (which I don't have). I can cancel, look at properties, help, or try to connect or just hit the top hand corner X, but none of these actions will cause the splash screen to stay away long. Usually in the middle of trying to compose an email it will pop up again and disrupt until I dispose of it again. Anyway to kill this thing once and for all? Thx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connect Broadband Connection popup screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connect Broadband Connection popup screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I had to call road runner to ask what to do

In reply to: Connect Broadband Connection popup screen

It's an extremely annoying mess. (Just another on Vista's long list of Severe User Access Failures. Chalk it up there with your inability to save in program files.)

Whether or not you use IE, it's trying to "dial" to the internet. Most broadband ISPs don't require a username and password, silly IE! Go to Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, Connections. About halfway down, be sure that "Never dial a connection" is selected.

Fixed!

Collapse -
Connection Pop-up

In reply to: I had to call road runner to ask what to do

Thx for your help, this particular glitch seems to have been fixed after I scoured around in Thunderbird and located a similar switch to the one you mention in IE. Anyway, once that switch was returned
to the "never dial" position, problem solved....
thx again for your efforts

Collapse -
Same Problem

In reply to: Connection Pop-up

Hi
I'm having the same problem, but I'm a firefox user. Can anyone tell me what I should do to make this problem go away in firefox. It's VERY annoying and I would love it to go away. Thanks

Collapse -
Pop up Connection with Firefox

In reply to: Same Problem

I had the same problem with Firefox. He's what I did to get it to stop. Go to Start-Control Panel-Network and Sharing-Network Connection. In there I had one broadband connection with PPoE. Just delete it.

Happy to say since doing this no more pop up.

Collapse -
: Pop up Connection with Firefox

In reply to: Pop up Connection with Firefox

You just showed my how to solve one of the most vexing problems I have had. This "Connect Broadband Connection" popup in xp was coming up at all of the wrong times. It was constantly interfering with downloads and page updates. Deleting the PPoE connection to care of it.

Thank you so much for this easy fix.

Bob Diamond

Collapse -
Thank you There is a God!!!

Wow and again wow. You have fixed one of the most vexing problems I've ever had. Methinks Vista should have a page in their help section just for this problem!!!!!

Collapse -
Same problem with Windows 7

How do you get this virus masquerading as software to go away with Windows 7 and Firefox? I get as far as finding the nonexistent broadband connection but could not find any way to delete it.

Collapse -
Broadband connection pop up fix

In reply to: Same Problem

Here's another solution (Vista):

- Go to Control Panel
- Select "Internet Options" - this will open an "Internet Properties" window
- Pick the "Connections" tab
- click the "Never Dial a Connection" radio button
- Click OK to close the window

Collapse -
thnx

In reply to: Broadband connection pop up fix

thanks for the solution Happy

Collapse -
need help also

In reply to: Connection Pop-up

hey the same thing happened to me i rebooted my dad's laptop and i cant get he internet working - im using window 7 do i do the same thing on window 7? go to conrol panal and stuff

Collapse -
Control Panel and stuff

In reply to: need help also

Did you try?

How did you get on?

Mark

Collapse -
Monica! ^_^

In reply to: I had to call road runner to ask what to do

Hey, today's my birthday. I dunno if you remember me. You're so hard to get a hold of...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.