Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Connect a windows pc to airport express base station

by djadminister / August 7, 2008 7:11 PM PDT

Hi all,

I have a network of 4 macpros, 6macbook pros, 2 imacs & 7 windows machines running xp, and a laptop running vista business. I recently purchased an airport express base station to put my usb printer (Epson Stylus photo 1390)on the network. All macbook pros & imacs are printing efficiently on wireless. Macpros are using the printer shared from one imac. But i don't understand how do i connect my windows pcs to the printer (all are on ethernet lan). Is there a way to connect them. Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connect a windows pc to airport express base station
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connect a windows pc to airport express base station
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Printer Sharing
by tleMega / August 8, 2008 4:15 AM PDT

If the printer is configured for printer sharing on the network, the Windows PCs should be able to find it, if the printer has been set up for them. You say that your Mac Pro machines are able to print through one of your iMacs. This implies that this one iMac has printer sharing enabled in System Preferences. Can't you go into the Windows machines' preferences and find the printer through the iMac? Or at least, over the network in general? It shouldn't be too hard. My (now dysfunctional) PC had no problem detecting my network HP all-in-one printer. Check out printers in the Control Panel is my guess.

Good luck.

-BMF

Collapse -
printer doesnt show up
by djadminister / August 17, 2008 5:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Printer Sharing

The printer doesnt show up on any of my pcs even if i give the proper ip address.

Collapse -
Download Bonjour for windows, that will fix it.
by jigmeg / August 15, 2008 5:23 PM PDT

Use Bonjour on windows to help connect to apple devices. that should do ya.

Collapse -
It worked
by djadminister / August 17, 2008 6:51 PM PDT

Hey thanks jigmeg!

I downloaded bonjour and added the printer through its printer utility.
It prints fine.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
no prob.
by jigmeg / August 17, 2008 7:18 PM PDT
In reply to: It worked

happy printing!

Collapse -
But I still cannot print :(
by sarkkunan / October 4, 2008 9:30 AM PDT
In reply to: no prob.

Hi. I am so glad that someone is using Epson 1390 and also wirelessly connecting to the Airport Extreme. But the strangest thing is that I manage to detect it on my macbook but when I send print, the job does not get passed onto the printer. Nothing gets printed and my print job is not even in the print job list.

I had called AppleCare and over the phone he said it might be either because the printer is not supported ( which obviously as not as you are using it) or there is not enough power because I am using a usb hub. So I took his recommendation and bought a powered usb hub. however, it still is not working.

I am using Leopard on macbookpro. Can you advise me?

Collapse -
certain macbook cant access the folder in the workstation
by ZharaLazarra / November 19, 2008 12:53 PM PST

Thanks so much for the advise jigmeg, i was able to download & use bonjour and printers are running well its really a great help.

To everyone,

any sound advice i can get, we are running Mac system in the office and having Mac Pro as workstation and Lacie as backup storage device. One of our problem goes like this, one of my colleagues macbook (13" running mac OS 10.5 & MS office 2008) cannot access one of the folder in the network. sometimes they see it but when they click it, its gone. I checked the network sharing of the folder and its okay, it can access by everyone/staff. hoping to get a reply on this sooner. thanks so much

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.