Computer Help forum

General discussion

connect 2 monitors to one pc

I have Dell Vostro 200 desktop PC with Intel Core Duo CPU E8200@ 2.66 GHZ, 2 GB RAM, Vista 32 bit. My cpu has 2 PCI, 1 PCI Express x1 and 1 PCI Express x16 slots.
I wish to connect a 17" Samsung flat screen monitor (1440 x 900) and a 15" Acer flat screen monitor (1366 x 768).
I will use this configuration for normal data processing (word processing, spreadsheets, etc.) i,e, not for gaming.
The two monitors must run independent applications, i.e. word processing on one monitor and spreadsheet on another without compromising on screen resolution.
Can someone suggest video card I require for this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: connect 2 monitors to one pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: connect 2 monitors to one pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pretty much any

In reply to: connect 2 monitors to one pc

Pretty much any video card these days can do that.

Collapse -
Monitor resolution?

In reply to: Pretty much any

What about screen resolution. These two monitors have different resolutions, will any video card support two monitors with different resolutions?

Collapse -
Sure

In reply to: Monitor resolution?

Sure. Virtually any video card is going to have dual RAMDACs. That's been a pretty standard feature for quite a few years.

Collapse -
RAMDAC? what is that?

In reply to: Sure

what does RAMDAC stand for?

Collapse -
Just a pic to clarify

Collapse -
card spec

In reply to: Just a pic to clarify

can you tell me what brand card did you use and its specifications?

Collapse -
I have a pic too.

Collapse -
card specs

In reply to: I have a pic too.

thank you for the pic. I need card specifications. what card are you using for this config.

Collapse -
No spec!

In reply to: card specs

Today's cards do this. I can see you are confused about all this and why not share EXACTLY what monitors you have, the settings you want to support, the OS, the card you are considering or ELSE you will continue to get answers like you have to date.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.