Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Connecing 2 XP computers via USB

by Alan Copeland / May 29, 2005 10:54 PM PDT

I understood when I first installed XP Pro that two XP machines could be linked via USB cable for file transfer much like Lap Link. How do I do this? I just bought a new PC and want to copy my files this way. Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Connecing 2 XP computers via USB
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Connecing 2 XP computers via USB
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Connecting 2 XP computers via USB
by Themisive / May 29, 2005 11:15 PM PDT

Just follow the instructions in the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, you'll find it in System Tools.

Collapse -
Use Ethernet
by Yew / May 29, 2005 11:20 PM PDT

USB networking shouldn't be used unless you have no other choice. Ethernet, OTOH, has been around almost since the dawn of computers. It's a very mature technology, designed specifically for doing what you want to do.

Not to mention almost any system new enough to come preloaded with XP will undoubtedly already have an ethernet NIC integrated into the motherboard, so all you'd need is some Cat5 crossover cable. And if for some reason you don't have a NIC, you can usually pick up a 10/100 PCI card for $5-10. I've seen them go for less than a dollar a piece.

If you insist on using the USB method, you're going to have a much harder time finding someone who can help you if something doesn't work right. Most people do the sensible thing, and use ethernet. You can move gigs of data in a few minutes with a simple 100Mbps ethernet connection.

Collapse -
In my opinion...
by tldees / May 30, 2005 5:41 AM PDT

Alan, We all have ''our'' way of doing things. We, I, may think ''our way'' ''my way'' is the easyest or best. It all boils down to works for you! Yes you can use ethernet but you must set up a network and yes networks have been around for a long time and is a fast way to move or share files. The wizard in xp is not as easy as 1-2-3. For me its not worth the headache of setting up a network just to move some files.
I have three methods. One is a usb pcLink cable I purchased from Mico Center for $10 bucks. Its not plug & play and you must load the driver on both machines. Its not fast either, but its easy and I'm into easy! I'm not into fast! It will copy or move your files.
Two-I have a one gig flash drive, Memorex, I can put it on my key chain, it is plug & play with xp and 2000, easy is an understatment! You can copy, move, or drag & drop. an accessory everyone needs with their computer. Mine was $49 bucks after the rebate at Fry's. As long as you have less than a gig of ''stuff'' to move its great! Or you can move ''stuff'' delete and move more ''stuff''...EASY!!!
Three-If you have a cd burner, do yourself a favor and keep up to date copies of all your documents, files, favorites and settings. Also keep an up to date list of all programs and applications. Be able to go to your programs and know what everything is!
As I am retired from BellSouth, I injoy working on/upgrading machines for my friends, family and neighbors...I make just enough to support my Ebay, gadget and hardware habbit!

Please post if you need more ''opinions''!

Here's the link to my usb cable
http://www.mic-innovations.com/mi/details.cfm?id=USB600A

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.