HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

conime.exe a trojan?

by Cheng / October 25, 2004 4:24 AM PDT

I am a bit confused What exactly is conime.exe, A trojan or a microsoft program. I cannot figure out consulting the pages searched by Google

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: conime.exe a trojan?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: conime.exe a trojan?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: conime.exe a trojan?
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 25, 2004 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: conime.exe a trojan?

Description:
conime.exe is a process which is registered as the BFGhost 1.0 Remote administration backdoor tool. This backdoor application can allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately.

Collapse -
It could be either
by peacimowen / December 23, 2004 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: conime.exe a trojan?
Collapse -
peacimowen
by roddy32 / December 23, 2004 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: It could be either

You are on the wrong page in the forum. this thread is two months old. The pages are listed both on the top and the bottom of each page, The current threads are all on page 1. The original poster never came back. Thanks.

Collapse -
conime.exe
by timtak / December 28, 2004 10:55 AM PST
In reply to: peacimowen

Dear Roddy,
Isn't the thread bumped to the top if we post here?

I hope so. This thread is relevant so I would rather not post another. As mentioned above there is spyware that creates a process called conime.exe and there is a Microsoft program. I have conime.exe running on my computer.

How do I tell if it is friendly or a threat? I have run Lavasoft's Adaware and a spyware checker from Webroot.com. Both tell me that there is no spyware on my computer (other than the usual cookies). Does this mean that the conime.exe that was running is kosher?

Tim

Collapse -
That is true Timtak
by roddy32 / December 28, 2004 11:24 AM PST
In reply to: conime.exe

The reason I said something to Peacimowen was because they were responding to a post that was many pages back and the original poster had not come back. There have been over 27,000 messages posted in this forum alone so it is impossible to keep them all on the first page. We try to keep the current ones on the front page. I meant absolutley nothing bad by it at all. This one is NOW current because you happen to have the same problem so it is fine that you brought it back up to the top. Now that that is straightened out, This is what I found out about conime.exe. Perhaps Marianna or Donna know more about it, they are the experts in this kind of thing but you can read this here.

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/conime/

Collapse -
How do I tell if it is friendly or a threat?
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 28, 2004 12:23 PM PST
In reply to: conime.exe

First allow your system to see hidden files:

instructions

Then Find it and right click on it and check the properties. See if it's from Microsoft

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.