Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Congresswoman apologizes for calling Murtha a coward

by Josh K / November 23, 2005 1:25 AM PST
Ohio congresswoman apologizes for 'coward' comment

CINCINNATI, Ohio (AP) -- Ohio Republican Jean Schmidt apologized Tuesday for her sharp comments about a fellow congressman's call to immediately pull troops from Iraq, which caused a furor in the U.S. House.

Schmidt was booed off the House floor Friday after she criticized Rep. John Murtha, D-Pennsylvania, saying that "cowards cut and run, Marines never do."

When Schmidt made the comment, Democrats rose in protest at the suggestion that Murtha, a decorated Vietnam War veteran and the ranking Democrat on the House Appropriations defense subcommittee, was a coward.

Schmidt said the comment came from a conversation with state Rep. Danny Bubp.

Bubp, also a Republican, has denied discussing Murtha with Schmidt.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Congresswoman apologizes for calling Murtha a coward
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Congresswoman apologizes for calling Murtha a coward
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Now she's complaining about all the negative attention...
by Josh K / November 23, 2005 2:34 AM PST

...she's getting.

Schmidt doesn't understand what the fuss is about, and sees herself more as victim than villain. "I am amazed at what a national story this has become," she said in a statement. "I have been attacked very personally, continuously since Friday evening."

She's got chutzpah, I'll give her that.

Oh, and she also claims that she didn't know Murtha was an ex-Marine when she called him a coward.

Collapse -
Considering her position
by TONI H / November 23, 2005 3:12 AM PST

doesn't that kind of equate to people saying they didn't know she was a woman?

Collapse -
I haven't heard such a heartfelt apology since
by Dan McC / November 23, 2005 3:51 AM PST

...ah, nevermind. She's just a jerk.

Collapse -
[u]I[/u] haven't heard such a heartfelt apology since...
by Paul C / November 23, 2005 11:23 AM PST

Bill Clinton "apologized" for lying to everyone over Miss Monica - and neither apology had any real effect on me...

Collapse -
A LIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by duckman / November 23, 2005 3:55 AM PST

She never called him a coward.

Collapse -
Wow. Even she's not
by Dan McC / November 23, 2005 3:57 AM PST

trying to hang her hat on that one.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I stand by it
by duckman / November 23, 2005 6:57 AM PST
In reply to: Wow. Even she's not
Collapse -
Did you see the video?
by Josh K / November 23, 2005 3:58 AM PST

Because I saw it and she most certainly did.

Collapse -
Saw it; listened to it , ad nuaseum...
by EdH / November 23, 2005 4:03 AM PST
In reply to: Did you see the video?

She didn't. Sorry. Next time listen.

Collapse -
Of course she didn't.
by Josh K / November 23, 2005 4:11 AM PST

All she did was say that anyone who would do what Murtha was calling for is a coward. That's completely different.

Collapse -
Nope. Try again.
by EdH / November 23, 2005 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: Of course she didn't.

Tnis time strive for accuracy.

Collapse -
The statement in full
by Josh K / November 23, 2005 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: Nope. Try again.
A few minutes ago, I received a call from Colonel Danny Bubp. He asked me to send Congress a message: Stay the course. He also asked me to send Congressman Murtha a message: that cowards cut and run, Marines never do.

BTW Bubp denied ever saying that to her.
Collapse -
Whether Bubp ever said it or not I don't know...
by EdH / November 23, 2005 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: The statement in full

But note that he is a Marine Colonel. Note also the left wingers are attacking his militaryy career as well.

The point is that he didn't call anyone a coward, nor did Congresswoman Schmidt, even though it was not a smart thing to say.

Collapse -
Ha ha, Josh! He caught you!
by Dan McC / November 23, 2005 5:47 AM PST

Now we know what the definition of is is.

Collapse -
Sorry you find accuracy distressing.
by EdH / November 23, 2005 6:31 AM PST

But not too surprised.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No she didn't
by Evie / November 27, 2005 10:57 PM PST
In reply to: Did you see the video?
Collapse -
She certainly did, and was a coward herself in doing it,
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / November 23, 2005 6:04 AM PST

DM, because she attributed the remark to a State Legislator (who denied having said it), doubtless to cover herself from precisely the richly deserved reaction she got. Now how about those here who made similar (sometimes more direct) remarks about a decorated vet who won a purple heart? I won't hold my breath waiting...

-- Happy Thanksgiving!
Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Why don't you read it
by EdH / November 23, 2005 6:25 AM PST

putting your ideological blinders aside? You'll see that she DID NOT call Murtha a coward.

If you can.

Collapse -
I find it interesting, Dave...
by J. Vega / November 23, 2005 12:58 PM PST

Dave, remember before the last election when Kerry was an unknown to many people? When the subject of the war came up on the Forum discussions the name calling aimed at veterans flew fast and furious with names like warmonger or even baby bomber.
I find it interesting that since Kerry was the nominee suddenly veterans are the good guys and such name calling is no longer "fashionable". I can't help but wonder if it will return to fashion in the future.

Collapse -
I find it more interesting that the
by Dan McC / November 23, 2005 1:09 PM PST

only person to ever use that second name on this forum is you.

Collapse -
It's pretty obvious...
by J. Vega / November 23, 2005 1:16 PM PST

It's pretty obvious that you wern't around back then or you'd remember it. Remember, gang? It was about the time that someone made the "tactical ploy" of mentioning membership in the SDS.

Collapse -
I'm glad she apologized, but...
by EdH / November 23, 2005 4:00 AM PST

She did NOT call Murtha a coward. No one did.

She quooted Danny Bubp. He didn't call Murtha a coward either.

He said, "cowards cut and run, Marines never do."

Is there a problem with saying such a thing?

Collapse -
The implication is obvious
by grimgraphix / November 23, 2005 6:00 AM PST

Even a child can see that, else why would the good congresswoman apologize in the first place ?

Collapse -
by EdH / November 23, 2005 6:29 AM PST

I believe the implicatin was that if the country/soldiers/marines were to cut and run, that would be cowardly. And so it would be.

She apologized because of the furor that ensured, naturally. Even a child can see that.

Collapse -
Your right Ed
by grimgraphix / November 23, 2005 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: Accuracy

She did not ''exactly'' call any one a coward, She did not ''exactly'' call Mr. Murtha a coward.

Happy Merry Christmas:)

Of course Saddam Hussein did not ''exactly'' have weapons of mass destruction.

Collapse -
Wrong again, Grim
by EdH / November 23, 2005 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: Your right Ed

He did indeed have them. Everyone agrees that he used poison gas on the Kurds, etc. He appears not to have had them anymore at the time of the invasion. But that is not completely determined either.

Glad to see you have accepted reality re: the Murtha flap however. Perhaps there's hope for you after all, though I won't hold my breath.

By the way, after all the name calling of the President and others on "my" side in general, plus the lies, slander, phoney movies, etc. it's kind of amusing to see the (largely feigned IMHO ) outrage over this little incident. Time to get over it methinks. She apologized, end of story.

Collapse -
by Josh K / November 23, 2005 9:54 AM PST
In reply to: Accuracy

It would be cowardly, therefore anyone suggesting such a thing is a coward.

Glad you've come around.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No, that doesn't follow either, but never mind.
by EdH / November 23, 2005 11:17 AM PST
In reply to: Exactly
Collapse -
By the way, are you saying Murtha suggested turning tail?
by EdH / November 23, 2005 11:19 AM PST
In reply to: Exactly

Quite an admission.

Collapse -
Not a shocker at all
by Josh K / November 27, 2005 10:19 PM PST

I have expressed my disagreement with his opinion already. I don't know if I'd call it "turning tail" but he is suggesting we leave the mess we made without cleaning it up.

And yes, if you call someone's suggestion "cowardly" then you are calling that person a coward for making it.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?