Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Congress attaches a national ID provision

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Congress attaches a national ID provision
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Congress attaches a national ID provision
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
im all for it

In reply to: Congress attaches a national ID provision

maybe the people who are afraid will leave Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I still don't see any problem with it

Collapse -
Damn shame.

While I don't foam at the mouth in agitation at such a suggestion as national ID, etc., it's a damn crock that Congress repeatedly attaches things that will not pass on a stand alone bill to a larger bill that a no vote can be used against the voter politically.

And that is a non-partisan device, they all do it.

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Would LOVE to see

In reply to: Damn shame.

all bills pass with no riders. Would solve many problems

Collapse -
Bring back the line item veto!

Collapse -
I agree

In reply to: Bring back the line item veto!

Collapse -
There is no way that

In reply to: Bring back the line item veto!

bush would veto this provision.

Dan

Collapse -
Not really in this instance ...

... because the article goes on to state that a stand-alone version of RealID has ALREADY passed the House.

I would like to see limits put on discretion of the Homeland Security Secretary -- just how much he/she has to change card requirements at his/her whim is a bit unclear to me. I do believe any changes from the information/requirements should be done legislatively.

I would also like to see protections as to exactly when the card can and will be swiped. We all, already, present certain forms of ID when we get a new job that include nothing less than the information this card would have. Same with opening a bank account, etc. Our SS Card has long since been a "National ID" only WAY too easy to come by fraudulently. I would rather have a uniform ID that doesn't delay me at the airport should CT's license requirements ever become as lax as those in some states. However reasons why one might show ID now to prove age/identity -- e.g. some credit card purchases, liquor, check cashing -- should have limits put on them as to when a clerk/cashier can actually SWIPE the card vs. just looking at the picture and relevant info as they do now.

Those that think Big Brother is overreaching here have been asleep at the wheel AFAIC. The only thing new here is that it will be more difficult for non-citizens to assimilate into our society and allow for better interstate monitoring of same and criminals. I find little downside to this, although I remain open for someone to point out what it is that I'm missing here to get up in arms about.

Evie Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.