Laptops forum

Question

Confusing laptop issue, please help!!

by Squwig / December 18, 2011 12:06 AM PST

So my laptop was working fine yesterday, I went to turn it on last night tho and it turned on but was just a black screen. I left it over night and tries again this morning, same thing happened, except this time it tried to repair itself, it failed the first time but worked the second time. My laptop is working, but I can't use it. When I go online no writing appears just the frames and even on my computer settings I can just see boxes and no writing, I don't really know how to explain it, I'm writing this using my iPod as I really can't use my laptop. Help I greatly appreciated!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Confusing laptop issue, please help!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Confusing laptop issue, please help!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Stumper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 12:10 AM PST

This sounds like a software issue but I can't offer any ideas as all I have for information is the symptom but no make, model, operating system and whatever else can be offered.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Sorry
by Squwig / December 18, 2011 12:15 AM PST

It's a samsung laptop, not sure what model... And it's windows 7. Sorry I'm not very good with this stuff

Collapse -
Good. Windows 7. very light on details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 12:26 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

For example if the security software was given I'd note issues with System Restore (not recovery!) which we can go back a few days to when it worked.

-> I'd use system restore to 2 days ago.
Bob

Collapse -
System restore
by Squwig / December 18, 2011 12:43 AM PST

I've already used system restore, but I can actually use it as I can see any of the writing in the boxes, and wen I have clicked on the buttons it seems that only the cancel button is available to use.

Collapse -
Next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: System restore
Collapse -
Do you mean my norton security??
by Squwig / December 18, 2011 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: Next.

Okie just tried system restore in safe mode and it has done the exact same thing as last time

Collapse -
Norton can block system restore.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 1:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Uninstalling norton
by Squwig / December 18, 2011 1:31 AM PST

I can even uninstall this as the screen just turns blank

Collapse -
The lack of details continue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: Uninstalling norton

For example I offered a link to Safe Mode and no words about that.

Collapse -
Safe mode
by Squwig / December 18, 2011 1:42 AM PST

This was done in safe mode

Collapse -
Answer
Now that SAFE MODE is doing the same thing. Hardware test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 1:46 AM PST

For the next test we boot up from CD. Here's a note about this as well as how we use it to save our files.

Read http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

To test if there is a hardware issue I boot that CD and if the visual problems remain I have to call this a hardware issue.

If the visual effects vanish then it's some damage to the OS. Since system restore was used to a few days before or a week before the problem FAILED we proceed to backup what we forget to then restore the machine to it's factory condition.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?