Computer Help forum

General discussion

Confusing about downloading and installing

by grandpaw7 / April 17, 2004 4:59 AM PDT

I guess I just don?t understand the difference between downloading a program and installing it. I wasn?t able to find a good explanation online. One place said this:

"Downloading - This is moving a file that's on the Internet onto your computer. Just click a download link on a web site and save the file to your hard disk."

Installing - When you install something, you basically "put" the program on your computer so you can use it. Normally this is done via a setup program or "wizard" to make installation easy. Once you're finished installing a program, you can usually run it from your Start Menu, Programs area.

So it says that both terms mean putting something on your computer. That?s confusing to me.

After I download a program from the web, do I need to still need be connected to the download website to install it? If I shut down without installing it, is it still there for me to install when I boot up again? If I partially download and get interrupted, is the partial download still on my camputer?

Thanks for any clarification. Jerry

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Confusing about downloading and installing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Confusing about downloading and installing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Confusing about downloading and installing
by jconner / April 17, 2004 5:39 AM PDT

Unfortunately the answer to your question is yes and no.

Some applications are downloaded as a package that you execute once it has been placed on your machine. An example of this might be adobe acrobat reader. When you download that file onto your machine, you must hen execute it to do the installation. Others are actually done in two parts and require yu to stay online, such as windows updates, which download compressed files into a temporary directory, which are then unpacked and installed.

Consider downloading something (executable or a picture or a document etc.) that places a file on your machine. Installation is the process of installing software, whether following a download or via a CDROM or otherwise.

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Confusing about downloading and installing
by jconner / April 17, 2004 5:45 AM PDT

"After I download a program from the web, do I need to still need be connected to the download website to install it? If I shut down without installing it, is it still there for me to install when I boot up again? If I partially download and get interrupted, is the partial download still on my camputer?"

Forgot this part. Again a yes and no answer. In the example of acrobat reader or many other programs, yes it will still be there and no you do not need to be connected to the web.

For windows updates mostly yes. There are cases where you could interrupt the install being handled by windows update and get offline and complete it yourself if you know where the files that have been downloaded are stored.

Usually for programs, the site you are downloading from will give you instructions.

Collapse -
by Bob__B / April 17, 2004 6:29 AM PDT

I guess I just don?t understand the difference between downloading a program and installing it.
-----------------------------------------
A GP type answer.

You do not download a program.

You download a file, this file contains an installer and all the bit and pieces the installer needs to create a program.

You can not do much with this file it is just a chunk of data sitting on your harddrive.

However when you activate the installer that is in the file it will create a program, using all the bits and pieces and give you something useable. (installing)

Look at it like building a house.
Downloading= getting a huge stack of lumber.
Installing= taking the lumber and building the house.

Collapse -
Thanks to jconner and bob b
by grandpaw7 / April 17, 2004 10:28 PM PDT

That clarifies the situation for me. Jerry

Collapse -
by chuckieu / April 18, 2004 5:39 AM PDT

Rather than an explanation, let me walk you through my
method for downloading an d installing programs or info.
Click "download"-choose"save to disk"-"save". This puts the program or info page in my "My Documents". Good idea to scan with your anti-virus. I then burn to a multi-session disc. I then install from the disc(for programs). This lets me save the program in case I need to re-format later(also tells me the burn has everything I need to re-install). I don't have re-download(unless there is a later version). If the install from disc was successfull, I then delete from "My Documents". Hope this helps. chuck

Collapse -
by Marlene / April 18, 2004 1:44 PM PDT

hi gramps! first you download a program to your hard drive from an internet site. if you get cut off from the site during a download, go back to the site and start over. make sure you know just where in your files it is being downloaded to. I usually specify desktop or program files when given the choice of where to store it. Once it is downloaded, go to the file or desk top it was downloaded to. most downloads look like a computer with a box in front of it with the name of it below it. right click on the icon and left click on open. it will then start up the opening and installing of the program. just follow their directions from then on. most you say yes to an agreement and then next to keep the installing going. it knows where to install them so just agree with anything they say. some programs come with an uninstall if you no longer want them. just go to start/ programms and to the program and a drop down menu will ap;pear. look for uninstall there. if not then go to start/ settings/ control panel/ add and remove programs. good luck

Collapse -
by tjplaw40 / April 19, 2004 12:17 AM PDT

You've got to be kidding.

After all the time computers have been available you still don't know the difference between Downloading a program and installing it.

Ok here goes, click a download link on a website.
You should be prompted to save it to your computer, you then need do decide what directory the file should go. I recommend a new file, name it Downloads or something you will remember.

After downloading the file, locate it in windows explorer, double click the file, you will be prompted to install it either in program files or somewhere else.

I have a suspicion you will be spending alot of time at these forums

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?