Phones forum

General discussion

Confused & Many Questions

I am thinking on buying a pda but i am confused with some aspects. First i want to tell that i will use it for work (i need word and excel like apps). A good agenda and calendar software, for my work, will be needed to.

Besides work i would like to have a normal pda for simple (but addictive) games. The most "heavy" game that i would thinking to play it?s any one like Ages of Empire kind or the old Prince of Persia....nothing more than that.

MP3 player it?s not important but anything able to read ebooks (and pdf format files) it?s important.

These are my basic needs for a pda (or a palm, whatever).

I?ve been observing some pdas but i am confused wich should i choose (dont add any more pdas to thelist because in Portugal it?s probable that i will not find it -_-). So, here is my list of pdas that i?ve observed:
- Tungsten e3
- hp 1940
- Asus 620bt (i am disapointed with this one because i thought that it was good but i found a review on the net giving it only 6.8- and it seems that have little software)
- Toshiba e400 (not to good i heard say)

There are some more like Zire 71 or Tungsten t3 but i am not shure about them.

It?s a difficult choice because tungstem e3 it does not have windows and i dont know how far it can go, how good it?s the "excel"(emulator) and "word" when compared with real excel and word, how good are the games (could i play the old Prince of Persia?), how much problems (due to compatibility with Windows in normal PC) with cause, etc.

About 1940 i saw some reviews and they warn that it may not be a good choice.

The other 2(toshiba 400 and asus 620) they look fair good but i heard that they dont worth the money. I dont have shure but if these 2 are the ones that do not let you change battery thats bad. What can i do if the battery dies? I cannot replace one, so should i buy a new pda? In that case these 2 choices are bad too.

As you can see these options dont look very good and i dont have any more choices because in Portugal, the other options are very expensive or they are so cheap that dont have any applications at all.

So, help me please answering these questions.

Sorry about my english but thats not my mother tongue.

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Confused & Many Questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Confused & Many Questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any ideas? Please...

In reply to: Confused & Many Questions

SO, no one as any ideas?

I really need to know this early on, because i need the pda for my job.

thanks.

Collapse -
Re: Any ideas? Please...

In reply to: Any ideas? Please...

Your post was light on details. But let me note a common complaint about the calendar. Here it is...

The stock Palm bundled software didn't and may not sync with Exchange Server's shared calendars. This is a software aspect you can solve with third party software. That's just one aspect you need to research if its an issue.

I use a Palm IIIc for what I need to carry around. I found Word/Excel to be a pain in the PDA, so I don't bother with such.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Confused & Many Questions

In reply to: Confused & Many Questions

IMHO:

However good a PDA is, it is not something that you do real work on-- work which require the full computing power of the real thing. There are limits: applications, ease of data entry, screen size, power,...

The main work is done on a desktop or notebook, with the PDA as a companion. Think of a PDA as a electronic pocket diary, which you can make notes, appointments, store reference data for retrieving at a 'work site' (so you do not have to carry the bigger brother), etc. A PDA needs to exchange data with the bigger more powerful cousin by 'syncing'.

As for playing games, watching movies, MP3s, digital camera, etc. these are added as business tags for the manufacturer. However, an owner will be able to make creative,work-related use of the features. A PDA is a useful tool, but it is not for every one.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Confused & Many Questions

Yes, i agree with you. PDA its not for everyone, but i notice that inmy job will be very useful.

In the last year i used an old Palm (dont know the model) and it was really useful for me in many work situations.

The problem was that it was too limited: i really needed an excel/sheet application because for me it would help me a lot in work.

Besides that i gave other uses to the palm, useful for me to take personal notes and appointments. Even personal thoughts and ideas that i had i would write it in the PDA.

As you can see its an useful tool for me.

About the games i really dont expect too much. I just something too play in "death times" when i dont have anything to do.

Its for that reason that i am searching for a new PDA because will help me better (and the old one its not wroking properly).

Collapse -

Since you have used a PDA before, you would have some experience what you could do and what you could not. If you want to use it in your work, then you will have to choose one among the mid to top end models. PDAs come in two flavors, OS wise - The Palm OS or Microsoft Pocket PC OS. Pocket PC operates the scaled down versions of MS Word and MS Excel, called Pocket Word and Pocket Excel respectively. The Palm oS ooperates "Documents on The Go", which contains Palm's version of Pocket word, Pocket Excel in addition to Power Point. They are compatible with the MS 'desktop' versions although not all functions are available, and formating will be lost with the Pocket PC versions when the documents are exchanged via syncing between the PDA and desktop.

Only you can choose which model is suitable for you. Try to Google the make/model name for more information.

Collapse -

Hello,

Please.... which PDA and software is the best available for work? Main funktion would be to use a fixed excel sheet and only enring some data on it and watching the results.

The OS is of no importance, but good if it comes free with the PDA.

Hope that some input would make my day and can go shopping.

Thanks

Collapse -

Please.... which PDA and software is the best available for work?

"The Best Is Yet To Be."

For real work, get a notebook or use a desktop.
A PDA is a PDA - a Personal Assistant. It is useful for keeping appointments, note taking, to do lists, reminder for important dates, currency conversions, a calculator, address book, personal data record, reference data, etc. Although a PDA comes with Pocket Word and Pocket Excel or "Documents To Go", what you can do with them is limited because they are very much scalled down.

I am no PDA expert. Perhaps some other users who use a PDA exclusively for work can share their experience.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.