Computer Help forum

General discussion

Confused I7 or I5

by brakewell / December 1, 2009 4:40 AM PST

Hi There
I hope some of you good people can make thing simple for me.
I was all set to get a new computer based on the i7 920 CPU + an Asus Mboard and now the i5 is out and I just read a report that the i7 will be discontinued fairly soon apart from the Mega Buck cpu's. I just don't know which way to go, is the i5 a lot better or worse than the i7 or is it as the (i5)Name suggests is a lower performance processor. I assume if I go for the i5 it will future proof me for a while longer, but I was under the impression that i7 was better.
What is the main differences between these processors and what would you ladies and gents suggest.
If its the i5 you suggest perhaps you could recommend a Mboard for it.
Many thanks to all who answer this.
Kindest Regards Tony B.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Confused I7 or I5
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Confused I7 or I5
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: i5 versus i7
by Kees Bakker / December 1, 2009 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: Confused I7 or I5
Collapse -
No
by Jimmy Greystone / December 1, 2009 7:56 AM PST

No, the Core i7 is Intel's replacement for the Core 2 line. The 9xx series is a bit outdated though, and the 8xx series tends to outperform them in almost every category.

The 8xx series uses less energy, they have an extra "bin" or "notch" for the dynamic overclocking, they have an updated memory controller... And all you really lose is tri-channel memory support, but honestly you won't miss it. Unless you do a lot of memory intensive things, of which I can't even come up with a good example, but maybe large spreadsheets and large images in PhotoShop, it's a solution in desperately seeking a problem.

And I'd definitely go with the Core i7 over the i5, since the i7's have HyperThreading. It's not quite like an octal core CPU, but with hyperthreading it might be like a 6 core CPU with all 4 cores being hyperthreaded. That's really the only difference between the i5 and i7, is the i7 has hyperthreading.

Collapse -
i7 is high end; i5 is mainstream
by ramarc / December 1, 2009 10:20 AM PST

just get a mobo based on p55 chipset (using socket lga 1156). then you can decide between the $200 2.66ghz i5-750 or the $300 2.8ghz i7-860. the i7 has hyperthreading (appears to have 8 cores instead of 4) so if you do stuff that can use 8 cores (video transcoding, ray tracing, etc) then it's worth the extra $100.

the core i7-920 is virtually obsoleted by the i7-860 since the 860 is faster for the same price. p55 mobos cost less than x58 mobos (which the i7-920 requires). a good gigabyte ga-p55, msi p55, asus p7p55, or biostar tp55 can be had for about $125.

Collapse -
Here's some insight for you
by Phil411 / December 1, 2009 11:29 AM PST

The i7 is high end, high performance, designed for intense, intense computing. It, and compatible boards are designed to withstand higher power ratings and temperatures. Meaning it will comfortably run, a few 1080p movies, convert a 1080p movie, and run an intense 3d game all at the same time, with hardly a flinch, thats if you're graphics card can keep up.

The i5 is more mainstream, but not as capable as the i7.

More food for thought, Intel's latest project the i9 is due out soon. The i9 is a six core dual threaded monster, providing 12, yes thats right twelve working threads, which essentially the average user wouldn't need, but hey, why not. More cores: More Fun
The i9 is expected Q1/Q2 2010. Read up on the i9 here: http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,699873/Intel-Core-i9-Hands-on-test-of-the-six-core-Gulftown/Reviews/

Collapse -
Watch this
by Phil411 / December 1, 2009 2:58 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?