Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Confused by New Camcorders

Hi, as many here I'm looking at purchasing a new camcorder but there are so many on the market! My use will be the typical family things like vacation. Based on posts I've read I think that a miniDV is likely the best format. I've had two camcorders recommended to me. Panasonic PV GS320 and a Sony DCR HC38. I've checked the internet for owner feedback but don't see much on the Sony other than for a DCR HC36 which seems to have poor resolution. I like the 3CCD Panasonic except for the 10x zoom. I occasionally run across wildlife and think a 32-40x zoom would be better.

I would appreciate any comments you may have on either of the 2 camcorders or any others you may recommend. I'm willing to spend up to $800 if I have to but would prefer to spend less.

Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Confused by New Camcorders
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Confused by New Camcorders
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
in your price range,

In reply to: Confused by New Camcorders

what did you find in the raings area of camcorderinfo.com?

Sometimes compromises need to be made...

Collapse -
10x is enough

For vacation shooting, 10x zoom will be fine. A 30-40x optical zoom is going to be really, really shaky once you zoom in, even with image stabilization. That kind of zoom is really only useful if the camera is on a tripod and you are filming something very far away. I would definitely recommend the PV-GS 320.

Collapse -
Camcorder Movies..

I would say that CANON has really gone to the front of the class on photography..
Unless you purchase a NIKON Product..the CANON line is your best Consumer Product..
I use a Panasonic Camcorder and its really impressive(at 3-years old)..its still "ticking"..
SONY has a Digital 8 line of camera's..I'm thinking of that product myself..
DV-miniTAPE..is excellent..
...........................except it will stretch if you use the REWIND..or..the FAST FORWARD Buttons..
I now hand wind my TAPE..
I never hit those Buttons anymore..
For Quality and Price../Panasonic..
For Quality../CANON..
For General Video photography../SONY Digital 8..
[end].

Collapse -
Optical/Digital ZOOM...

In reply to: Camcorder Movies..

......10 X Zoom is good..
......20 X Zoom would be better(go for a higher OPTIC range)..
......Digital ZOOM...if you can photograph past 40 X Digital Zoom I'd like to see what it was..
[end].

Collapse -
Interesting

In reply to: Optical/Digital ZOOM...

what you say about Canon moving to the fore front. I was in a local camera shop earlier this week who is a Canon dealer. He had several Canons on the shelf but only 2 Panasonic HD units. When I asked about the Canon units he indicated that Canon was really starting to fall behind the others and recommended the Panasonic GS 320 when they finally come in. He has 8 on order and has 6 presold.

I think I'm settling on the Panasonic unit but I want to see one before I commit.

BUT still open for suggestions.

Collapse -
Thanks Again

In reply to: Camcorder Movies..

I just followed your instructions and all worked well. The DVD-RW worked perfectly in both of my DVD players.

PS: I just bought the Panasonic GS320. Now I have lots to play with.....

Collapse -
reviews?

CNET hasn't reviewed these camcorders yet. where can i read some reviews? i'd heard that sony sucks but panasonic is good. not sure about canon though.

Collapse -
Try here

In reply to: reviews?

Collapse -
Here as well...

In reply to: reviews?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.