TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

confused about lcd vs. rear projection lcd vs. dlp

by dtres / January 24, 2006 12:06 PM PST

I have a cabinet, width 40.7 inches, and approx. 30-32 in. above floor for a family room tv. The viewing angles can be as great as 45-50 degrees. My kids like to watch from the floor and the sofa puts us at approx 18-20 inches below the tv. I've checked the sony bravia, sony kdf-e42a10 and the samsung 42 dlp. We have HD signal. TV is for all use, not just DVD. Playstation too. Viewing angle is a potential concern with DLP and the rear projection LCD. I can shim the back, but will the side angle be a problem? Would you spend the money for the Bravia considering it will not be wall mounted? Sales help has given me conflicting information. Help! Any input is appreciated. I would like to make this purchase soon

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: confused about lcd vs. rear projection lcd vs. dlp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: confused about lcd vs. rear projection lcd vs. dlp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Consider
by HTHMAN / January 25, 2006 2:14 AM PST

Why not get a Plasma or flat panel LCD. Wirh either, viewing angle would not be a problem. Any rear pojection will have a narrow viewing angle.

Collapse -
Not Really....
by Psych Doc / January 25, 2006 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: Consider

...Actually flat panel LCD also suffers from the viewing angle limitation. Perhaps not as badly as RP systems, but not in the same league as plasmas.

Collapse -
Right
by HTHMAN / January 25, 2006 12:30 PM PST
In reply to: Not Really....

That is why I have plasma. You can view it from about anywhere you can see the screen. No so with my old CRT RP set-you all have to sit together.

Collapse -
confused about lcd vs. rear projection lcd vs. dlp
by jcrobso / January 25, 2006 2:51 AM PST

When it comes to wide viewing angles plamsa rules!!! OK, direct view CRT also, but you are limited to screen size.
Go to the store and look at the sets from different angles, slowly walk around the set, straight on(90deg.) then to one side 20, 30, 45 deg. Squat down if you have to see what it looks like. John

Collapse -
LCD flat panels have a greater viewing latitude.....
by Riverledge / January 25, 2006 12:21 PM PST

than most people think. 45 to 60 degrees off-center is more than watchable. Of course plasmas and CRT will win out when available. Probably
why most sports bars have multi-plasmas & CRTs.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.