Windows 7 forum

by witchofthree / April 1, 2015 8:15 AM PDT

ok my sister just got a new comp. from her father, it wouldn't let her uninstall a program so she did a system restore and now it will do absolutely nothing. it starts out on a blue screen the says hit esc. for startup menu. I hit the esc. button and it goes to a black screen with info about the computer and says hit esc. for start-up menu. so I hit esc. again and nothing happens!!!! what can be done here? any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: confused
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: confused
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
WIthout details, where to go next?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2015 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: confused

I guess that dad can be called up and ask what to do next.

Sometimes parents will give out a PC with only a restricted account and that means you can't install apps.

System Restore can break things so you go back to SR and try again. However without make, model, OS versions we can't start.

Collapse -
by witchofthree / April 1, 2015 10:45 AM PDT

ok well we cant get back to SR, it will do nothing. we know he didn't put restrictions on it because we are both to old for that! lol
p2-1123w---- model number
HP pavilion p2 PC----make
windows 7----OS

Collapse -
So it's from 29-May-2012
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2015 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: details
Collapse -
very new lol
by witchofthree / April 1, 2015 11:05 AM PDT

thank you very much and yes its a very new ...I've never had one do that before and I tried everything so I figured it was time to ask around!

All Answers

Collapse -
try a repair
by renegade600 / April 1, 2015 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: confused

what is the full computer model? you can try a startup repair.

Collapse -
by witchofthree / April 1, 2015 10:47 AM PDT
In reply to: try a repair

how can we do a startup repair when it wont do anything?

p2-1123w HP Pavilion p2 PC

Collapse -
access to win7 disk
by renegade600 / April 1, 2015 11:06 AM PDT
In reply to: how

If you have access to any win7 disk, and it don't have to be the same as the installed version, you can boot to it without the need to boot to the harddrive and do a startup repair.

if you have files you want to recovery, you can try download a linux live cd, create an image disk and boot to it. You should be able to move files to an external drive.

a previous post suggested possible drive problem. You can download seatools for dos and run it to test the drive to make sure it is good. again you do not have to boot to the harddrive, you will be booting to the disk.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?