General discussion

Conflict between Malwarebytes and Norton Internet Security

On March 29 Malwarebytes updated its software to version 1.45, after which the automatic updates stopped working. I also run Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2010 with the Parental Control add-on. I quickly discovered that both the Malwarebytes automatic and manual virus definition update functions CANNOT run if the NIS Parental Control is turned on. (An error message appears.)

I contacted Malwarebytes and was told it was an NIS problem. I contacted NIS and they could only recommend that I turn off the Parental Control function if I was going to run Malwarebytes update.(though they prefer that I remove ALL other anti-virus software when running NIS).

Any solutions? Neither software company appears to want to take any responsibility for this program conflict.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Conflict between Malwarebytes and Norton Internet Security
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Conflict between Malwarebytes and Norton Internet Security
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Seems Normal

We see it commonly with Norton products but not just their product. Quite a few Internet Security products have a component which blocks various types of processes which "they" decide are inappropriate. One of those processes may be the update application of your favorite malware removal tool.. Sometimes it's a firewall issue. Sometimes it's Parental Control.

In addition, automatic updates are only available on the "paid for" version of Malwarebytes (the "free" version must be updated manually) so I'll assume you have the paid version and if that's the case, Norton also has a "real time" spyware scanner running along with your Malwarebytes real time scanner.. That's generally not a good idea because most such programs conflict.. Most here recommend that you prevent one, or the other from running real time and use the second tool as a backup manual scanner.

It now becomes your decision on which steps to take to prevent those conflicts. Here, we use the second tool as a backup manual scanner so we can update occasionally and only when we need a "second opinion" from that scanner.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Thanks Griff - but this only started with release 1.45

I never had a problem running the paid version of Malwarebytes until release 1.45 came out at the end of March. Now - bang - error messages unless I turn off NIS Parental Control. Go figure.

- Collapse -
Yep, 1.45 Is Different

You'll note from the Malwarebytes websites, here are the new things in the new version.. Not only is it visibly different on the main "Scanner" tab, but you'll see there is a new scheduling engine and new updating module on 1.45. It's apparently making a difference on your machine. :

Recent Changes

1. Added new scheduling engine for our customers featuring realtime updating, more finely-grained scheduled scanning/updating, and a streamlined interface.
2. Added new flash scanning option which searches for malicious objects in memory and load point locations.
3. Added compatibility with Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) for our corporate customers.
4. Added a brand new advanced heuristics detection module named Shuriken that will be integrated into both scanner and protection module.
5. Integrated website blocking options and other customizable policies into the main program interface.
6. Heavily improved command line interface allowing customers to scan and remove automatically and silently.
7. Heavily improved updating module which should solve various updating issues. Also added full proxy support including authentication and integration into the GUI.
8. Fixed a large number of various issues and enhanced overall stability of the scanner and protection module.

And check the Malwarebytes forum link below.. You'll see it's not just Norton where there are conflicts.:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s=7e7f00ea96bb95206a418b6b2241c3c5&showforum=41

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
(NT) Malwarebytes 1.46 Was Just Released.. Any Difference?
- Collapse -
No - NIS Parental Control still blocks Malwarebytes Updater

Updated to Malwarebytes v 1.46, but no change to the problem. It is so easy to check: turn NIS Parental Control on, and MWB Updater returns an error message; turn NIS Parental Control off and MWB Updater works perfectly. You would think that Malwarebytes would want to get this fixed ASAP.

CNET Forums