Desktops forum

General discussion

Conflict between CD Drive, SATA Hard Drive and IDE Hard Driv

by meme427 / October 9, 2007 2:10 AM PDT

I have a CD Drive (set to slave)
an IDE Hard Drive (set to master)
and a SATA Hard Drive attached to my desktop - MSI Motherboard

My desktop was working perfectly fine before, but i left for 2 months for a holiday and when i returned all the three components starting conflicting with each other.

I cant attach my IDE hard Drive and CD Drive together
and if i add my SATA hard drive then it shown some DISK Error
this also shown when i attach the CD Drive and my IDE HD together.

I have a USB CD Drive which i have attached to the desktop and also have attached the IDE Hard Drive to the desktop which works.

But i am loosing out on my other hard drive and CD Drive.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Conflict between CD Drive, SATA Hard Drive and IDE Hard Driv
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Conflict between CD Drive, SATA Hard Drive and IDE Hard Driv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Makes sense to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2007 2:15 AM PDT

Today I rarely see the master and slave settings used since not too long ago we started using IDE cables (80 conductor) which used the Cable Select setting.

Of course you could have a failed device so leave out the CDROM for now.

The SATA issue is something I can't discuss since no make, model of the mainboard was shared, it's bios version and how you set it's mode of the SATA. To move along faster I suggest you supply the link to it's manual.

Bob

Collapse -
Here are the details
by meme427 / October 18, 2007 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Makes sense to me.

My SATA Hard Drive is - Segate 80GB
IDE HD is WD (western digital) 80GB
CD Drive is - LG GCR-8525B
Mother board is - MSI 915GLM-V

Hope this helps!
can u understand what the problem is now!
When i attach the CD Drive then my mother board cant even detect my IDE HD. while my SATA HD is getting detected no problem at all!

Collapse -
Remember to attach just that CDROM as a test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2007 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Here are the details

Here's how I would test it.

1. Use the newer 80 CONDUCTOR IDE RIBBON CABLE.
2. Set the CDROM to CS.
3. Connect it to the end Master connection.

Tell what happens.

Now add the hard disk (on CS!!!) to the Slave connection. What happens?

Remember that we did see drives that would not coexist on the same IDE cable no matter which settings. The cure is separate IDE channels or replacements.

Bob

Collapse -
IDE problem
by pratikpai / October 2, 2008 6:49 PM PDT

i have tried everything but then also there is a conflict between my samsung hard drive and sony dvd-rw/samsung cd-rw . sometimes it detects both the devices but sometimes it gets stuck at the bios setup screen i need to reboot again and again to make the ide cable detect or if i wait for sometime it just the detects the sata hard drive(160gb) or sometimes only the sata and samsung hard drive so for this problem i have bought a new PCI card reader from which now i have connected my dvd-rw so now its working fyn but still the conflict between samsung hard drive and cd-rw is still there
my motherboard 915glvg
please help me out to solve this problem

Collapse -
There is no cure beyond what I noted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2008 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: IDE problem

I have seen people try to fix that coexistence issue too many times. The fix is simple. Put the devices on their own channels.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.