Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Confirmed sniper kill

Just to make some waves, it seems are Canadian allies have a feather in their cap. After seeing the Mil. Ch. "top sniper show" an interesting fact was offered. In Afghanistan, a Canadian sniper made a confirmed kill at roughly(details, details) 2700yds or 1.5mi. with his sniper rifle. Good hunting is right, bravo!!!! 1 shot, 1 kill

Semper Fi -----Willy Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Confirmed sniper kill
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Confirmed sniper kill
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A bit more

In reply to: Confirmed sniper kill

Collapse -
Right ammo

In reply to: A bit more

Good reading and finding the full details. The "top sniper" show offered also trying to find the right 50cal. ammo. Basically, it offered if you can get your hands on certain rounds that do far better than typical ammo. Those suggested progressed into better hitting power and penetration. Well, its something I never learn using only plain 5.56cal ammo for my M16. Though taught to hit targets at 500yds. it was interesting to know targets at more than a 1mi. are generally found and executed with precision. Makes everyone excises some pucker power. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
As some of the older lags here will recall I posted this

when it occurred. The Sniper team were invited down to the United States, and were offered medals which the Canadian Military turned down. I don't agree with this blocking of an earned award from an ally.

This incident

Collapse -
(NT) sorry, I thought I was cancelling this post. Rob

In reply to: As some of the older lags here will recall I posted this

Collapse -
Losses to date 116 Canadians.

Sort of gives Fox News a black eye, instead of a red one.

Rob

Collapse -
Sort of a gruesome way to make Ripley's

While perhaps sometimes justifiable, I can't see where bragging has a rightful place in the taking a human life. I'd have to hope this doesn't become an achievement that anyone would deliberately seek to best but would only do with a great deal of humility and sorrow.

Collapse -
Canadians have taken a lot of stick from south of the border

In reply to: Sort of a gruesome way to make Ripley's

about not pulling their weight, and not even being in Afghanistan according to some ill informed people.

Now if it made Ripley's, which I saw no indication of, then it was Ripley's decision to post it. Neither Canada nor the snipers sought this notoriety. Snipers court anonymity, not notoriety. Even Andy McNab of the SAS who was captured during Desert Storm still hides his identity on TV.

The original story indicated that they were targetting a mortar team of which the casualty was one. The mortar team was screened from their position, and was silenced (they probably moved) by the death of their member.

Rob

Collapse -
Snipers save many lives these days. There is a great deal

of skill and training needed to do the job. That's the basis for what you may see as "bragging". A highly trained marksman can be justifiably proud of his or her skill. If the people they kill are trying to kill them or their friends, I see no reason for them to feel sorrow at such an outcome.

Collapse -
War is hell and they shoot horses too

As long as I can cause grief and anguish to the "enemy" as I was trained and directed to do, I see no indifference to life other than I certainly like to cling to mine longer. The business of war is not to engage it in for joy but rather celebrate when its over. However, as seen in modern times, its boils down to the reason&causes that justify it. I rather not be on the losing end nor
brag about, but it does become the basis for warriors to rabble on because it was tough time in one's life provided you exit sane enough. I like to leave it at that. -----Willy Sad

Collapse -
I knew some would take this wrong but so be it

In reply to: War is hell and they shoot horses too

My post really had nothing to do with Ripleys because I'm sure this isn't a record they keep. It's about it was about keeping "world records" of killing events as a matter of personal or national pride. I don't think that's the reason we go to war. It's not the Olympics. I'm not one to fault a soldier for doing his job well but I would certainly hope that we have no soldiers on our side that find joy in pulling the trigger on another human. We hear that this is how terrorists behave. We need to prove ourselves better than an enemy to be worthy of survival. We had many captured German soldiers who were imprisoned here and became US citizens after the war, and we got to hear their stories of how they felt being in the same position as the american GIs on the battlefield. We don't hear much of them really hating the persons in their gun sights just as we hear the same from our own soldiers. I can't say that's true when confronting terrorists. They seem to truely hate us. No doubt they celebrate a kill. We are better than that and need to stay that way, IMO.

Collapse -
Terrorists gemerally take on people who cannot fight back.

In reply to: I knew some would take this wrong but so be it

Their joy comes from killing people who are not combatants. They will also attempt sneak attacks against troops. I fail to see how this compares in any way with troops who kill those who are trying to kill them. If troops celebrate the kill of someone whose goal is to kill noncombatants, why question that? The joy comes from achieving justice, and from preventing additional deaths.

Collapse -
I guess you're not understanding something

In reply to: Terrorists gemerally take on people who cannot fight back.

The story (and the "joy") isn't about taking out a terrorist. It's about achieving a record distance for a fatal rifle shot aimed at a human. Maybe you don't see the difference. Or worse...maybe you feel it doesn't matter. I do.

Collapse -
If I took your answer at face value, I might think that

In reply to: I guess you're not understanding something

you think that military snipers will shoot anyone as long as the shot is technically difficult enough. You seem to suggest that the identity of the target is irrelevant. I don't have such a pessimistic view of the character of our troops. I don't think they will shoot unless they believe that the shooting is justified.

I've already said that I don't see any problem in being proud of a unique skill, or in stopping someone who is attempting to kill others.

Collapse -
Sorry but your analysis is way off base

In reply to: If I took your answer at face value, I might think that

and not worthy of further explanation. You're (member name) may be too new here to have seen any of my previous posts on the gravity of warfare with these terrorists or the evil nature that makes this one so different from what we've faced in the past. Breaking a tea cup at extreme distance and killing a human at the same or greater distance don't, IMO, warrant the same "fist pumping" revelry for display of skill. There is a huge difference between respect for human life and disrespect for the evil nature that exists in some. If we cannot separate the two, we have not learned well enough. I have no more to offer on this subject. Think what you will. It's your privilege.

Collapse -
I got your point; good post.

In reply to: I knew some would take this wrong but so be it

One of my favorite movie lines is from William Munny in The Unforgiven. While he's sober, someone is asking him the usual tactless questions about his occupation (hired killer). He says, quietly, "It's a helluva thing to kill a man."

And, when I went to fact-check "eastwood's role in the unforgiven", this was the first result on ask.com:

http://www.americanpopularculture.com/journal/articles/spring_2004/motley.htm

filler

Collapse -
I read the link...

In reply to: I got your point; good post.

I read the story in the link. I didn't care for it, it hit me as psychobabble. He's an English professor at a college, and if I were to take one of his classes I suspect we wouldn't get along.

Collapse -
(NT) I agree, but the coincidence struck me.

In reply to: I read the link...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.