Computer Help forum

General discussion

Confirm ac adapter output (Toshiba Satellite m45-s269)

I overused my laptop last week and the ac adapter got hot until it just stopped working. I want to confirm that it is the ac adapter malfunctioning and not the power jack in my laptop.

I have a multimeter like this one: http://www.doityourself.com/invt/0715714

How should I set it, and where shoould I place the two pins (red and black) to get a reading. My ac adapter should output 15v -----5A according to the casing.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Confirm ac adapter output (Toshiba Satellite m45-s269)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Confirm ac adapter output (Toshiba Satellite m45-s269)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Response

In reply to: Confirm ac adapter output (Toshiba Satellite m45-s269)

Set the meter on DC Volts

Insert the tip of the red probe into the center of the connector.

Hold the tip of the black wire on the outside of the connector.

IF you have the wires in the wrong place the reading will show a dash in front of the reading. Such as -15 V

Switch the leads for the correct polarity.

Collapse -
Only use DC to check the output of the adapter.

In reply to: Response

Do NOT use DC to check the wall socket.

Collapse -
Dial?

In reply to: Response

thank you, do you know the measure I should set the dial to?
V-- There?s 200m 2000m 20 200 and 600.

Collapse -
Re: dial

In reply to: Dial?

The adapter (if working) outputs 15 or 19V (depending on the type). So if you set the dial to 20V DC it will be nice. If you don't trust the adapter and are afraid it will give higher voltage, start with 200.

Kees

Collapse -
Results

In reply to: Re: dial

Thank you, the measures were around 0.1-0.3 max on the ac adapter?s output so I guess it?s pretty much dead. Is there a way to fix this myself, for example just resolder some points? From a first look inside it I can?t seem to spot anything burnt out or broken.

Collapse -
Response

In reply to: Results

IF you are sure you're making good contact when you are getting your reading,

With the adapter unplugged from the wall.

Cut the wires (about 2 or 3 inches back from the connector/the one nearest the computer)

separate the ends of the wires and remove the insulation, so you can test for voltage.

Now you will be able to test for voltage, without the connector in the circuit.

IF you read the proper voltage...you have a bad connector

IF you don't read a proper voltage....You have a bad transformer...and need a new one.

JP Bill

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.