Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Configuring ZoneAlarm so I can open Microsoft Outlook

by HelenEyley / April 2, 2007 1:38 AM PDT

Hi

Can anyone help ? ZoneAlarm installed an update on Friday and since then I haven?t been able to open Microsoft Outlook. I don?t use this programme for e-mail but it has my diary on it, so very frustrating.

I operate Windows XP on a PC and the free ZoneAlarm programme.

Here?s what happens when I try to open Outlook ? a pop-up appears which says:

ZoneAlarm Analysing E-mail
Zone Alarm by Check Point
Zone Alarm Security Suite
Junk E-mail and Anti-Fraud Filter
Powered by Mail Frontier

This has a progress bar on it, but nothing happens.

At the same time, another pop-up appears, which says:

ZoneAlarm ? Outlook

Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

It then goes into standard Microsoft error messages ? if you click on the report it says:

Name: Outlook.dmp
Description: Crash Dump
Type of file: DMP file.

Incidentally, I did a virus scan and it came up with the following:

File: Shell32.dll
Result/Infection: Change
Path: C:\\windows\system32\shell32.dll

File: ntrskrnl.exe
Result/Infection: Change
Path: C:\\windows\system32\ntrskrnl.exe

Can anyone throw any light on what?s happened and how I can access my diary.

I did a search for the calendar file and tried to open it on another computer, but it wouldn?t work.

Thanks in advance.

Helen

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Configuring ZoneAlarm so I can open Microsoft Outlook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Configuring ZoneAlarm so I can open Microsoft Outlook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Zonealarm and Outlook
by Kees Bakker / April 2, 2007 4:00 AM PDT

As far as I know the free Zonealarm hardly scans email, and certainly doesn't scan email that's already received. The basic email-protection (and you can turn it off in the Zonealarm control center) only renames .vbs files found in incoming mail. Interference with Outlook, like this, is very strange.

What you can try:
- Turn off the email protection in Zonealarm
- Uninstall this 7.0 version and go back to 6.5 (I assume you've saved the setup somewhere)
- System Restore to get rid of any changes caused by the update

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
ZoneAlarm
by j341 / April 2, 2007 3:12 PM PDT

The latest free version of ZoneAlarm does contain a new Outlook add-on. It looks for phishing and junk email. If you can get Outlook to open, you can turn it off in Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options > COM Add-ins. It?s called MailBuddy, and removing the checkmark will unload it from Outlook. But if you can?t get into Outlook?

You could always try installing ZoneAlarm again in case something went wrong with the installation. But if it still doesn?t work, you?re probably better off uninstalling ZoneAlarm and using an older version.

Collapse -
Re: zonealarm
by Kees Bakker / April 2, 2007 8:12 PM PDT
In reply to: ZoneAlarm

Thanks for this information. I had downloaded this version myself, but I don't have Outlook on that machine.

It might help the OP to start Outlook in safe mode (as described in http://www.melissadata.com/tech/contactzone.htm). The addons aren't loaded then. And it should still be possible to configure the addons, so that this one isn't loaded the next time Outlook starts in normal mode.

Personally, I think that if a program (like Zonealarm) modifies settings of other programs (like Outlook) it should have an option to undo and manage that modification. But apparently Zonealarm thinks otherwise.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!