Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Configuring JRE 6u4

by michhala / March 1, 2008 11:14 AM PST

Finally got with the program and installed Sun Java using Grif's directions from 04/13/2007.......about time methinks Happy

Some basic elementary questions to guide me in the right direction as I familiarize myself with the program:

1. Do I need Jusched in Startup?

2. Temporary Files Settings -- "Keep temporary files on your computer" -- should I leave option unchecked or clean cache manually on a regular basis? (I have the instructions on how to do this.)

3. Update Notification -- I selected "before downloading" and "check for updates automatically" (once a week).

4. In Advanced\Settings\Auto Download, I selected "prompt user".....or should it be "never auto-download"?

My thanks.

Miki

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Configuring JRE 6u4
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Configuring JRE 6u4
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just What I Do...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 1, 2008 11:36 AM PST
In reply to: Configuring JRE 6u4

1. No, it's the automatic updater.. See #3.

2. Yes, I "Keep Temporary Files On Computer". It allows java to work a little faster by using a "cache"..

3. I disable this entirely.. (UNCHECK "Check for updates automatically") I don't want it "phoning home" all the time.. Because I check periodically, I simply download the new version when it comes out.

4. Not relevant if it's not checking for updates automatically, but I choose "Never Auto-download".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
The auto updater
by JonathanCase / March 1, 2008 1:17 PM PST
In reply to: Just What I Do...

has never worked for any Java version I've had. I don't bother running it either, preferring a third party tool to periodically scan and advise on any application for which an update is available.

Collapse -
Tarq57.....thank you
by michhala / March 1, 2008 3:41 PM PST
In reply to: The auto updater

I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Miki

Collapse -
Thank you, Grif
by michhala / March 1, 2008 3:39 PM PST
In reply to: Just What I Do...

I will do what you do...... Happy I don't care much for automatic anything!

RE "Keeping Temporary Files on Computer" -- Every time I close my browser, I go into Tools\Internet Options and delete all Temporary Internet and History files. I keep only 3 cookies on my computer. I cannot even guess at how many times a day I do this. The JRE cache is separate from this, is it not and I would use the Java Control Panel to clear JRE cache? Yes?

I recall a JRE thread on this forum in which "Keeping Temporary Files on Computer" unchecked seemed to be advised because of trojans, so that scared me a bit.

Miki

Collapse -
About The JRE Cache
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 3, 2008 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you, Grif

Yes, the JRE cache is separate from the standared "Temporary Internet Files" folder located at "C:\Documents and Settings\Yourusername\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files".. Still, if you look at the files stored in the Java cache, you'll find they aren't extensive and generally don't need to be deleted often. (Java Control Panel/General tab, TIF "View" button, Show "Resources" in the upper left corner.)

Yes, UNCHECKING the box will lessen the likelihood of getting malware from the Java cache although as long as you're on the most recent version, it's an extremely slim chance of that occurring. Most of that particular problem was with unpatched versions of Windows and the old "trojan.Byteverify/java.Byteverify" issue. I haven't seen such occur recently as long as all systems are correctly patched. Still, unchecking the box certain won't hurt things.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif -- About the JRE Cache
by michhala / March 3, 2008 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: About The JRE Cache

Another thank you for your patience and for answering my questions.

Since installing JRE, I have familiarized myself with the software, particularly the cache. I found with JRE "Temporary Internet Files" checked, the "Applications" remained empty, and the "Resources" had a fairly long list. I did a delete, and it took 1 1/2 days for "Resources" to be replenished.

I always appreciate your help and sensible approach.......they give me the confidence to make my own educated decisions with less apprehension Happy

Miki

Collapse -
Mki
by Basil Hall / March 1, 2008 2:12 PM PST

Grif wrote:
2. Yes, I "Keep Temporary Files On Computer". It allows java to work a little faster by using a "cache"..

If you do a regular clean out there should be no problem, butI do not think that a slight increase in speed is worth the possibility of a trojan infection, which can occur. Perhaps someone more qualfied than myself could comment on this.

Basil

Collapse -
Hi Basil
by michhala / March 1, 2008 3:49 PM PST
In reply to: Mki

Thank you for replying to my post and for your thoughts about whether or not to put a checkmark beside "Keep Temporary Files on Computer" in the Java control panel. Since I am "overkill" about details, I often come up with many questions when I first install a new program.

Miki

Collapse -
Question
by Bob__B / March 1, 2008 10:53 PM PST

Do you have a need for java?

I've been running sans java for a long time.

For my use...no issues.

I don't load products that I don't use.
That falls under the heading of....looking for trouble.
Folks that go looking for trouble quite often find it. Happy

Collapse -
bob b
by michhala / March 2, 2008 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: Question

Not looking for trouble, and I, too, do not install products I don't need .....just trying to keep machine updated since the final demise date for the MSJVM was 12/31/2007, and I don't like to work with obsolete software. I am not sure how many of my applications that use applets benefit from "Java" applets -- Windows Media Player or Flash Player, for example -- nor which websites incorporate them. I do not play online games.

Miki

Collapse -
Miki, Well .... JRE 6u5 Just Came Out..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 5, 2008 2:24 AM PST

Sorry, but the newest Update 5 just came out.. I've installed it on a couple of machines so far and I see no problems..but it still means you need to download the new, uninstall the old, then reinstall the new again..

Sorry.

Grif

Collapse -
JRE 6u6 Just Came Out
by michhala / March 5, 2008 2:39 AM PST

Grif -- It's a piece of cake.....I am up to it :). Thank you for updating me and for letting me know so far so good on your machines.

Miki

Collapse -
My Title Typo
by michhala / March 5, 2008 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: JRE 6u6 Just Came Out

Should be "JRE 6u5 Just Came Out"

Miki

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?