For maximum reliability in a laptop, would you choose:

- a single conventional hard drive
- a RAID with two conventional hard drives
- a solid state hard drive

or would you choose some other option?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Configuring a laptop for maximum reliability
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Configuring a laptop for maximum reliability
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Even maximum reliability is ...

not 100% reliability for 10 years. So don't forget about BACKUP.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Frankly? Conventional

Conventional laptops are found in our office that are now over 10 years old. Those with the other systems are not found. Even in desktop RAID setups as something has always died.

Let's keep the reason simple. Ready?

Less parts is more reliable than more parts.
Bob

- Collapse -
Less parts is more reliable than less parts

That would argue for an SSD, no? No moving parts.

Perhaps I asked the question poorly. What I really want to maximize is uptime/availability.

My desktop has a RAID drive. One drive failed Saturday but the PC is still running (I'm using it now). By Tuesday, it will be back to 2 mirrored drives.

- Collapse -
I see you have your answer.

Here, the office has yet to suffer a drive loss without some event you can point to and write it could have killed the machine. Hint? The machine was dropped.

Looking to RAID to save the machine is a nice thought but it never helped here.
Bob

CNET Forums