General discussion

config.sys error message

just recently got an error message that said my config.sys was either missing or corrupted
THEN it mentioned third line

I did a thorough disk scan and it came up with message all errors fixed.

Does this mean the config.sys has been repaired?

If not what should I do to repair that third line which reads C:\windows\setver.exe

Have no idea what I did to cause this error. Have been playing a game called Under a Killing Moon and having many problems with it. Have adjusted hardware settings and resolution but beyond that nothing else.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: config.sys error message
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: config.sys error message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
error message- need more to work on.

If the error message appears again, copy the full and complete message to paper or highlight-copy and paste to the forum. If it does not appear again, forget it.

- Collapse -
config.sys error message

Thanks for feedback Papa Echo and hopefully you will not see me here copying and pastingHappy but if so will be back.

- Collapse -
config.sys error message

Well, success was short lived. Unfortunately I do not know how to copy/paste when the error message is in the startup screen. I did pause the screen and was able to copy by hand the exact message - hope this will suffice. If not could you tell me how to copy/paste when in this startup window?

Message reads exactly:

The following file is missing or corrupted: C\windows\setver.exe
There is an error in your config.sys file on third line

I went to the config.sys file and the third line reads exactly:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\setver.exe

Hope you can advise.

- Collapse -
There's an oddity here.

XP doesn't use CONFIG.SYS, but config.nt. In either case, the SFC program (you run it) should check it for validity.

Bob

- Collapse -
config.sys error message

No you misunderstand - it is on my 98 that the error message is appearing. I think I mentioned that in a previous posting.

- Collapse -
Wrong Forum. But here's how to extract original 98 files.

CNET Forums

Forum Info