Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Conficker hype used by rogue gangs

by Marianna Schmudlach / March 30, 2009 8:28 AM PDT

Monday, March 30, 2009

by Patrik

Oh the irony.

As you're all aware Conficker has been in the news a lot lately, especially with regards to if anything will happen on April 1st or not. We found out that rogue security software folks have picked up on this. For example, lets have a look at remove-conficker.org, a domain which was registered today:

More: http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Conficker hype used by rogue gangs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Conficker hype used by rogue gangs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That site looks familiar to me.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 30, 2009 8:30 AM PDT

It was inevitable I suppose, Happy

But that site looks very much like the Antivirus 2009 series that we have seen and heard of so much lately.

Isn't enterprise wonderful?

Mark

Collapse -
Malicious Sites
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 31, 2009 2:28 AM PDT

If you are not visiting one of the suggested vendor sites for assistance, avoid any conficker related site that suggests it might be able to help you or detect if you are infected. Because in most cases if you are not infected, you most likely will be with something before you depart that site.

List of Possible Malicious Web Sites

http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=MAL.MaliciousSites

Collapse -
???
by BluePWNR / March 31, 2009 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Malicious Sites
Collapse -
List of Possible Malicious Web Sites
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 31, 2009 9:46 AM PDT
In reply to: ???

Avoid any conficker related site that suggests it might be able to help you or detect if you are infected. Because in most cases if you are not infected, you most likely will be with something before you depart that site.

The Related Malicious Domains and Web Sites are also listed. Stay AWAY from them !

Collapse -
O
by BluePWNR / March 31, 2009 9:48 AM PDT

SO that really is a list
^.^ AJ!!!

Collapse -
(NT) Yup ;)
by Marianna Schmudlach / March 31, 2009 11:00 AM PDT
In reply to: O
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Yup;)
by Big Steve / March 31, 2009 12:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Yup ;)

Would tomorrow, April 1st, be a good day to keep your computers turned off if you don't need to have them on to do work?

Collapse -
conflcker
by Sum--Guy / March 31, 2009 12:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: (NT) Yup;)

>Would tomorrow, April 1st, be a good day to keep
> your computers turned off if you don't need to
> have them on to do work?

If you run windows 2K, XP or Vista - yes (keep it turned off).

If you are running Windows 98, then no, you're ok. Conficker can't run on win-98 systems.

Collapse -
conflicker
by Big Steve / March 31, 2009 1:39 PM PDT
In reply to: conflcker

I've got XP on one machine and Vista on the other so I'll take your advice and keep both turned off.

Collapse -
April 1st, and all is well.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 31, 2009 7:55 PM PDT
In reply to: conflicker

No problems surfing the internet here so far, UK around 11 am GMT.

The Conficker worm isn't designed to infect computers. It is designed to deny users access to the internet by flooding sites and internet servers with multiple visit attempts. Those sites and servers cannot cope with the demand and so crash.

The Conficker worm is held on personal computers, but those computers are already infected, and are acting as zombies.

So it seems to me that either the boffins who have been looking for ways to prevent this attack have been successful, or the Conficker worm is programmed to start its attack on a different day. I would guess on the former.

Mark

Collapse -
Wow, noticing a coincedence?
by BluePWNR / April 3, 2009 10:53 AM PDT

now that it is explained that way, it seems alot like a localized attack on just on website(such as the attack on the Gibson Research Center by a teenager) but on a huge scale, wow, suprised it took them this long to figure out it doesnt have to be a targeted attack...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?