General discussion

Concerned about Adobe Update dialog

This has been happening for a few months now and I haven't found a good response, so I thought I would ask it here. I have noticed an update dialog from Adobe that shows up when I reboot my PC. Not all the time, but just every so often. The thing that concerns me is that it shows up before my AV software and Firewall start. It wants me to click a link to update Adobe (either Flash or Reader) before I know my PC is safe to be on the internet.

Is this really a virus/trojan disguised as an Adobe Update?

I have looked an I am using the latest Flash Player and Reader software. That is why I get concerned.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Concerned about Adobe Update dialog
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Concerned about Adobe Update dialog
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Not necessarily

Not necessarily. Your AV program is actually loaded long before you can actually use your OS, so that's not a concern, and the Adobe Updater program is set to run as soon as Windows boots, so that isn't necessarily a concern either. The problem comes in that there is a bit of malware which tries to replace the Adobe Updater.

So if you engage in any risky behaviors, it's entirely possible you've contracted this. Risky behaviors might include using Internet Explorer, Outlook, Outlook Express, any pirated programs, or any file sharing (P2P) programs.

- Collapse -
Thanks for the heads up

I have scanned with Malwarebytes, Hijackthis, and my AV program Viper. None of those found anything out of the ordinary, but I was still concerned that it might be something nasty.

The most "dangerous" thing I do online is iTunes (that app could suck my bank account dry if I let it).

Thanks again for the helpful info.

- Collapse -
Adobe Reader Released A New Update To 9.3.2

If you'd like, you can download the manual installer from the link below and simply update it. Here's the link:

See the "Updates/Programs" in the second box down.. I've been using the download from the link titled: "Adobe Reader 9.3.2 update - multiple languages". About 40 machines updated so far with no issues.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=10&platform=Windows

Hope this helps.

Grif

CNET Forums