HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

computers on ebay?

by Lluraeden / March 27, 2008 11:44 AM PDT

I know that ebay has the cheapest deals in most things, but I'm not very experienced in that field. Is it considered a good idea to buy a computer on ebay in general?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computers on ebay?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computers on ebay?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I wouldn't. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 28, 2008 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: computers on ebay?

I've bought a ton of "parts" from eBay but not a full PC. There are horror stories about systems arriving DOA, and illegal copies of the OS. Who are you going to complain to if there's a problem?

Refurbished computers from the manufacturer's sites are the most reliable, and you will get a warranty (short), and a real company to complain to or for support.

In short, I wouldn't.

Collapse -
Just an after thought. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 28, 2008 7:41 AM PDT

I've bought four laptops and four desktops (on the left) from here. Absolutely zero problems. Those not in my posession now (kids have them) are still running perfectly.

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=-840&langId=-1&categoryId=2576396

Collapse -
Re: computers on ebay?
by Big Steve / March 29, 2008 7:35 AM PDT

I've bought new HP inkjet cartridges off of Ebay with no problem but I wouldn't recommend buying any computer off of Ebay. Like another poster said if you have a problem who are you going to call. If you do decide to buy a computer off of Ebay I strongly recommend you read everything on the description page; everything.

I recently bought a new cordless phone battery off of Ebay for an old Panasonic phone that is no longer made. I got the battery for less than $6.00 USD, shipping and handling was less than $7.00, it stated on the description page that insurance was included in the shipping and handling charge but when it was time for me to pay for the item the seller had tacked on an additional $2.59 for shipping insurance.

I contacted Ebay about it and as always Ebay did nothing except send me one of their auto response emails but since I still got a good deal on that new Panasonic phone battery and rather than take a chance on receiving negative feedback from the seller I went ahead and purchased the battery but next time I'll pay closer attention to everything listed on the item's description page and ask questions before bidding. Again be very careful if you're considering buying a computer off of Ebay, I certainly would.

Collapse -
so I shouldn't
by Lluraeden / March 29, 2008 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: computers on ebay?

Thanks, so I get the feeling that I shouldn't do it, although it will probably be alright?

Collapse -
Re: so I shouldn't
by Big Steve / March 29, 2008 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: so I shouldn't

I wouldn't but it's your money; have you had much dealings on Ebay? Check out the seller's feedback; do a search for a computer you want. Contact other buyers who have bought the system you want if you do find a seller with a good feedback rating. Again I would be very careful.

Last year I got a very good deal on a Panasonic DMC-FZ20S digital camera but I did my research first and ask lots of questions. Not all sellers like to respond to messages; many of the power sellers won't. If there's an item I'm interested in, I send the seller a reasonable question; if the seller doesn't reply I move on to another seller.

Like I stated earlier I buy quite a few new HP inkjet cartridges from sellers on Ebay; I have 2 HP printers and go through lots of ink but it would surprise you to know that many sellers don't even know that HP puts install by or expiration dates on their cartridges and HP will warranty the cartridge 6 months past that posted expiration date on the box.

There are sellers right now attempting to sell HP injket cartridges that were manufactured back in 2003. They claim their cartridges are factory sealed, like new; never been opened. What they don't tell you is the ink in their 2003 cartridges is already dried up because they probably don't know.

Buying inkjet cartridges is fine and certainly not as risky as buying a computer off of Ebay. Read everything; ask questions; get feedback from other buyers who have bought computers off of Ebay, read everything first and if you haven't already got one open up a PayPal account and back it up with a major credit card that offers excellent fraud protection.

Collapse -
thank you
by Lluraeden / March 29, 2008 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: so I shouldn't

Thank you. I would say I have no eBay experience. I bought one thing, but it was small, low key; nothing really expensive like a computer. And I actually didn't know ink cartridges dried up (although it seems fairly logical now..)
So thank you Grin

Collapse -
Re: thank you
by Big Steve / March 29, 2008 9:51 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you

No problem. What kind of computer are you looking for? A basic laptop or a higher end model? It doesn't hurt to look around on Ebay and believe me there's a lot to look at on Ebay but again be very careful if you seriously consider buying off of Ebay. I'd personally rather buy from Dell's outlet if it was a used computer you were after or if you could afford it buy a new one from Dell.

Dell's Small Business Division had a promotion last week on a Vostro 1500 laptop for $549.00 but the price could have gone higher if you added more bells and whistles to it and what I liked about it was you could configure it with Windows Home XP. I'd consider buying from someone where you could get some form of a warranty and some support rather than take my chances on Ebay unless I knew who I was dealing with on Ebay.

Collapse -
dell latitude d630
by Lluraeden / March 29, 2008 10:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: thank you

I don't know. I want some kind of computer that can play games like Halo and WoW without lagging, but then again I need to be able to like do work on it as well.. Also it needs to be relatively cheap. I was looking at the dell latitude d630, but from the dell store it's too expensive. (with the stuff I want on it, it goes for around $900) On eBay however, I found one that sold for near $550, and another was only like $600, but I didn't want to get it without any experience on eBay, or advise.

Also if you have any ideas for a laptop that could do those things above, please let me know Happy

Collapse -
Re: dell latitude d630
by Big Steve / March 29, 2008 2:19 PM PDT
In reply to: dell latitude d630

Sorry but I can't help you when it comes to playing games because I don't play games on a computer but someone else reading this thread might comment but I would imagine you'll need a computer with a very good dedicated graphics card with it's own memory, not a baseline integrated card, lots of operational memory; if you go with Vista you'll need at least 2GB for it to operate smooth, if you factor in playing games you'll probably need more memory.

Sorry I can't help you there. If you're a gamer you might want to take a look at Dell's Inspiron models, the Latitude is a business machine from Dell's Small Business unit and probably wouldn't be as well suited for playing games as an Inspiron notebook. If money was no object and you were super serious you might want to go to Dell's site and configure you an Inspiron XPS machine but those machines are pretty pricey, well over $1,000.00.

Collapse -
THank you
by Lluraeden / March 30, 2008 12:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: dell latitude d630

that's okay, thanks for the help anyways. Also I like XP, which takes up less memory than Vista. I want an alienware computer, but they are just too expensive...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.