Computer Help forum

General discussion

computers hate me...

by imsandee2 / April 14, 2008 3:58 AM PDT

Hello, my name is Margaret, and most electronics honestly hate me. My laptop is less than a year old, and I'm having all kinds of problems. I wanted to try this before spending more money I don't have on the geek squad, and I don't even know if they really help. I have an HP Pavillion dv6000. I have several problems. 1. My comp sometimes goes to a blue screen, a stop message, its says its crash dumping, and I have to restart it. 2. I have Windows Vista, and it says I only have 28% memory left! 3. I don't know what it is, but it sounds like the fans won't stop running and my comp gets really hot. Almost monthly I defrag my comp, regularly I run the disk clean up, I try to take care of it. If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it! Thank you so much!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computers hate me...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computers hate me...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
To get you started.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 14, 2008 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: computers hate me...

I'm not a Vista person yet and it is quite different from my own XP computer, so I am of limited use.

But to get you started can you tell us what that Blue Screen of Death, (that's what it is called, Happy ) says? The error code is important if it gives one, and it usually is in the format 0x00000C9 or similar. That would help others find out what the error code is trying to say.

Can you confirm the 28% message? Are you sure it says memory, (RAM), or does it say hard disk space? As a matter of interest what are the specifications of your laptop, eg how much RAM, what size hard disk and how much free space on the hard disk you have.

Do you use any computer protection against viruses and spyware? If so, what do you use?

Finally, laptops prefer to work on a hard surface where air can circulate underneath and around it. Are the air vents on your laptop clear?

Don't worry, these things don't hate you. They just need loving care and attention! Devil

Mark

Collapse -
by imsandee2 / April 15, 2008 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: To get you started.

Haha, well the name fits!

The error code is: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0x74748BAF, 0xB06D6D64, 0x00000000). It also says I should change my video adapters, something about BIOS updates, caching and shadowing. No Clue!

It say my Drive C 142.49GB and 27% free now, my Drive D 6.56GB and 10%free. My RAM is 2038MB. I feel really dumb but I'm not sure how much I have left.

I do have protection against viruses and spyware. I have McAfee, and SpyBot, and I regularly scan my comp.

I bought a metal stand for my laptop, so it always has circulation underneath it. But it still gets hot and the fans are always running, makes me nervous!

I don't download movies or new programs. I don't leave it on all day long. So I'm not sure! But really, thank you so much for writing me back, and so quickly! I really appreciate it.
Margs

Collapse -
Possibly RAM?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 15, 2008 6:32 PM PDT
In reply to: ....

Hi Margs.

That STOP error, 0x0000008E may point to hardware problems and if your error message about RAM is correct I wonder if one of your RAM modules is suspect. However I am not a technical person so I am not at all sure.

This site, http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm explains the STOP error codes we receive in XP, just click the link to 8E in the left hand column. You will see that it says these are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade). So because the BSOD also mentions video adapters and BIOS updates, the problem may point elsewhere. Its a difficult code to diagnose.

Googling STOP error 0x0000008E gives a number of what may be useful articles, a couple listed below;
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-676192.php
http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50966

You should not be getting RAM low messages. Your 2GB of RAM is more than enough for XP. Also your C Drive should have plenty of free space left, about 35GB. The D drive is very low. Do you use that for anything special?

The metal stand is a great idea for the laptop as it helps circulate the air and keep the computer cool. but if it does get hot then I wonder if one of the fans is failing? If so, then perhaps this may be the cause of the blue screens.

I don't know if you agree, but I wonder if this is time to get the laptop checked over by a reputable repair shop now. If you agree I would backup all of your files first, (your personal files, documents, photos, music, videos, etc, the ones you can't afford to lose). You can never be sure.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Have you changed anything
by sasupp / April 15, 2008 1:34 AM PDT

Have you installed anything recently?

Collapse -
(NT) Wait til they take over the world.;-)
by caktus / April 15, 2008 7:02 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.