Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Computers for Computer Loathers in 2015

by anytechguide / September 14, 2015 11:50 AM PDT

For a lot of people, computers are a necessary evil. They have to own one to type, print and use the internet, but between malicious software activity and layout changes, a lot of people are getting frustrated.

What computer do you recommend these days? Tablets? Desktops? Laptops? What OS? Is Linux ready for the basic user? Can we really say that Windows continues to be? What about cost effective? Is there a cheap machine for someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of time on it? For the 2015-2016 computer buyer, what do you think?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computers for Computer Loathers in 2015
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computers for Computer Loathers in 2015
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think folk should buy what they want.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2015 12:08 PM PDT

There is a clear sign the desktop is dead for most. New laptops are 200 bucks on Amazon ready to use. And then we have Chromebooks for those that don't want to tinker.

Collapse -
differenet uses require different recommendations
by renegade600 / September 14, 2015 12:19 PM PDT

everything changes, whether it be layout or usage so it is near impossible to make a general recommended, even for loathers. This is one of those questions where there are no real answers, just opinions based on personal experience.

In general, get a chromebook. It has limited storage. you can store everything in a cloud so there is little you have to maintain, you can type your letters or homework, and check your email. They are pretty much secured so you do not have to worry about malicious software as much as windows. Finally they do not take up much space.

Collapse -
major oops
by renegade600 / September 14, 2015 12:30 PM PDT

cannot believe my typing today. the subject line should say,

different users require different recommendations. I really wish you can edit posts in this forum like you can when you make article comments.

Collapse -
There are ways.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2015 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: major oops

Just make a new reply to the OP then alert your old post and ask for a delete. SOMETHING NEW is that moderators can edit but it's mostly used to remove in the clear email addresses. That is, we use it sparingly.

Collapse -
texting or full size keyboard?
by alias Winston Smith / September 26, 2015 2:42 PM PDT

If you used a fgull sized keyboard you could always use the 'Sunday afternoon' excuse (even though it's Saturday)
If on a cell or tablet, it may have something to do with the tiny keyboard your trying to use, maybe a good recommendation to stay away from them?

Collapse -
speelin :)
by alias Winston Smith / September 26, 2015 2:49 PM PDT

I just can't spell or type very well, have to watch keyboard not text coming up on screen - LOL

Collapse -
Well basically if you go into Best Buy
by orlbuckeye / September 17, 2015 10:11 AM PDT

you will see Apple OS's, Windows and Chromebook. Although some vendors sell Linux machines they are harder to fine and You might find one on Best Buy online but not in stores. Alot of the Best Buys have the new Windows Store and Samsung store inside. Usulally then have the categories all together like Desktops, All-In-Ones, tablets, Laptops and Chromebooks.

Linux comes in hundreds of flavors but Ubuntu and Mint seem to be the most popular with consumers. Dell has some Linux PC's available online but some people think it's easier just to buy a Windows machine and install Linux on it. Linux is a free download and can even run on a USB flash drive without having to be install over Windows.

Remember the cheaper the part for a PC the cheaper the PC. So you get what you pay for happens alot but then again $2000 laptops do break sometimes but not as frequently as the under $ 500 laptop.

The best way to buy is to
1. determine your need
2. research on google
3. Test drive at like Best Buy even if you buy elsewhere.

Collapse -
Fanboy?
by alias Winston Smith / September 26, 2015 2:47 PM PDT

Even though I'm using a LINUX PC (Ubuntu 14.04LTS) I don't really see what this has to do with the original post?
'Everything' is made in China just marked up higher in Best Buy so don't worry about where you buy from, may as well go to Amazon or eBay, your keeping 'someone' employed

Collapse -
@ alias Winston Smith
by btljooz / September 28, 2015 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Fanboy?
"your keeping 'someone' employed"

By going into a brick and mortar store you're keeping that business open. And you get to put your hands on what you are buying. You get to take it home immediately instead of having to wait on shipping to get it to you to put into use.

So, again...your point???
Collapse -
Desktop dead?
by alias Winston Smith / September 26, 2015 2:38 PM PDT

I guess if you like throwing money away every few months to get the latest and greatest phone, tablet or laptop, desktop is dead
For 'normal' people however, the large screen makes working for easier with less chance of eye strain and the total lack of availability a major plus. I no longer have a cell phone, greatest move I ever made. (do I need 24/7 access to a bunch of crap - no way)
I also use a 7+ yr old desktop for 'everything computer related' (last upgrade was this year though, new 750w power supply to cope with used 3.16 Xeon processor and 'new' video card)
I for one don't subscribe to the ******** 'throw away' mentality, (and all the hypocrites who must have the latest stuff - it DOESN'T grow on trees) I do see computers as a 'necessary evil' plus I'm a marketers nightmare - LOL

Collapse -
Largely agree.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / September 26, 2015 3:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Desktop dead?

In my spare bedroom I have several computers that were brought to be fixed. When I mentioned new parts were needed, it was a case of, I'll let you know". several years later, they are still here. Off hand, I believe there's Win 98SE, ME, (yuk), and XP.
When I get round to it, I'm going to put a suitable Linux distro on each and give them away to folk that don't have/can't afford a computer.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Of course 'desktop is dead' a ludicrous statement.
by btljooz / September 28, 2015 10:37 AM PDT

As long as there are businesses the desktop will NEVER be dead. When the desktop computer came out everyone was crying that the main frame would be dead. Thirty years later? The mainframe still survives, although in somewhat limited ways. The desktop computer is still very much in demand by business just as the main frame still has it's niches to this day.

While I do have an older laptop to play with and learn Linux on as time allows, I still have a desktop computer that I built last year for my workhorse. There is a lot to be said for multiple booting, although this may or may not suit the OP at this particular time.

In addition, there are still some things that can be done with a desktop that either can't be done with anything any smaller or it's more complicated to whatever degree to do. And a desktop computer is a LOT more ergonomically correct when set up correctly. There was a story on my local news the other night about the injuries that people cause themselves by constantly using handheld devices.

Collapse -
Making Typos DOES suk in this forum! }:)
by btljooz / September 28, 2015 10:43 AM PDT
Of course 'desktop is dead' a ludicrous statement. .....SHOULD read:

Of course 'desktop is dead' is a ludicrous statement.
Collapse -
It's more like "The PC is dying."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2015 10:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
Anyone can find any website citing there own view.
by btljooz / October 1, 2015 9:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
Not my view.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2015 9:18 AM PDT

I'm only an author and the call for PC apps is in steep decline. The call is for iOS and Android apps over a Windows PC version.

Gamers remain a strong point for the PC Windows desktop but the overall picture with web site hits eeking out a 51% PC Windows showing is telling us volumes about what folk are moving to.

It's not going away soon. But it's market share is not what it used to be.

Collapse -
note 4
by call_phone / September 29, 2015 9:21 PM PDT

hello

Collapse -
Help
by jack_weston / September 30, 2015 6:15 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?