PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Computer Wont turn on... just beeps continuously PLS HELP

by darkstorm44 / April 10, 2007 12:54 AM PDT

Hey guys ... i need someones help... anybody any suggestions i will take as i have other working computers.
My comp wont start, nothing on screen (says no signal), cpu runs, gpu runs ... well spins. i think harddisk runs and cd and dvd drive flash like the reading light. Long beeps keep going ... dont think its a bios beep or watever like no point counting. The computer seems to restart and a beep. restart and beep... process goes on till i pull the plug.
If it helps, wat i did:
i wanted to change the graphics card and i did from a 7600gs agp - 7600 gt agp. then i wanted to add 512 mb Ram but i cudnt get the stick in Sad It had 2 x 512 mb previously and took it out to read the label and put them back in. I think this might be the problem .. it seemed real dusty around it and i might have shoved some dust into the slot !!

A BRIEF HISTORY OF MY SCREWD UP COMP!!
I bought it on eBay and it was not really working fine. Like when i restart it says DISK BOOT FAILURE. PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK...and i have to repair the current version of install and go thru the whole processs (like formatting) in order to get into xp. But i found out that the problem was prolly due to the xp version being a upgrade and that every time i restarted the older (WIN 95) was trying to boot up. which is why i was doing a complete format

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Wont turn on... just beeps continuously PLS HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Wont turn on... just beeps continuously PLS HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
seems like a lot of problems
by jconner / April 10, 2007 1:33 AM PDT

to isolate, so

Take all the cards and memory out.

Do get an aerosol air can and blow out the dust.

Add back in the very minimum components and start adding until you encounter the failure and that is your culprit. It you try to solve several problems at one time you are likely to go in circles.

Go back to what sort of worked and see if it still does. If not your changes may have created another problem. Format rather than install or upgrade and then install. This will remove old versions and will put on a new master boot record.

Collapse -
THANKS FOR THE HELP DUDE!!
by darkstorm44 / April 13, 2007 11:39 PM PDT

Thanks so much ppl!
But i fixed it!
I swapped the rams from my other comp and now both compswork!
***??

Now I am back to the problem i previously had.
I have to reinstall (repair) xp if i shutdown. Cos it always says DISK BOOT FAILURE...
that is, after the files are copied to HD and reboots it goes thru the install procedure and i am back to default xp no updates and some programs dont work Sad
If it helps I have foud that i can restart with the xp cd inside and restart only. if i shutdown im back to repairing the current version of xp.
i tried installing multiple xp's and completely formatted and installed one xp but something is wrong.
cos of this my comps been on for like 2 months! and its got a 400W psu Sad
really confused

thanks again guys!!

Collapse -
I FIXED IT - IT WAS MY INITIAL SUSPECTION
by darkstorm44 / May 11, 2007 11:13 PM PDT

THANKS A LOT GUYS
I FIXED IT - IT WAS MY INITIAL SUSPECTION
I CHANGED THE HD TO ONE OF MY OLD ONES BUT I DID A COMPLETE REFORMAT OF THE HD
AND IT WORKS FINE - EVEN THE STARTUP TIME IF NORMAL
I WAS STARTING TO THINK ALL AMD'S TAKE 2 MINS TO START
LOL

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP
I LEARNT SO MUCH ABOUT COMPUTERS
U GUYS ARE LEGENDS !!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?