Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Computer wont stay in SLEEP

my computer keeps returning from sleep and never stays in sleep or stand by longer than 20 - 30 minutes

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer wont stay in SLEEP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer wont stay in SLEEP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Common reasons.

In reply to: Computer wont stay in SLEEP

1. Mouse moved.
2. Wake on LAN, Modem, etc. enabled.
3. Virus, trojan, other pests.

A comment. Look at your post. Given this much detail only generic ideas can be offered. If it never worked then you ask the maker to fix it. If it broke today, system restore to yesterday. etc.
Bob

Collapse -
a

In reply to: Common reasons.

but this is a brand new computer that's the thing

Collapse -
Then it's not your problem.

In reply to: a

Call the maker and ask for fix or refund.

-> Again. Look at the details given. And again, only generic answers can be offered plus the new machine means what you do with bad new gear.

Collapse -
NIC

Take a look at the NIC properties in Device Manager under Network Controllers. You may need to allow your system to shutdown the NIC to get sleep working for you.

Collapse -
UPDATE

In reply to: NIC

Alright guy's just wanted to update you on my problem,

i found out what was causing it to now stay asleep

the Ethernet port had the permission to resume the computer from sleep

i disabled it and now its fine

thanks!

Collapse -
Similar Problem

I have a similar problem however not the same one. My computer (vista) is set to sleep after 45 minutes. However, it stopped doing that a while ago, even though when I check the settings it still says sleep after 45 mins. Also, when I manually click Sleep the screen simply goes blank without the computer going to sleep. As soon as the mouse is moved the desktop pops back up. Is there any way to fix this? The Sleep function used to work perfectly fine.

Collapse -
I Encountered This Problem

The problem is that on at least some computers, "Sleep" defaults to "Wake on LAN" mode. This will awaken your computer from sleep in a very brief time if it is hooked to a router or directly to a cable or DSL modem.

To disable this, go Control Panel/System/Device Manager. Find your network adapter in the list and left-click on it. Then right-click on the network card (usually there is only one listed). Click on the "Power Management" tab at the top of the page, and then uncheck the box for "Allow this device to wake the computer." That should solve the problem.

It will still awaken on mouse movement. If you are using a wired mouse, it only has to move a VERY small amount to wake up the computer, like if the table is bumped or a printer is sitting on it and begins to stir. Wireless mice seem to require a bit more movement.

You can turn this off in a similar manner to that you used to turn the feature off on the LAN card.

Collapse -
Computer sleeping

In reply to: I Encountered This Problem

Hello Flatworm,
Just wanted to say Thank you....I followed your instructions so that my computer stays asleep when I command it to and it is now performing fine. Chuck

Collapse -
Didn't Work!

In reply to: I Encountered This Problem

I followed the steps, however Wake on LAN was already disabled. Any other ways to get my computer to fall asleep?

Collapse -
Vista slip?

Indeed? Reckon I though it was dead.
Is it Linux-Compatable??

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!