Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer Wont Start?

by amialki / July 13, 2005 11:15 PM PDT

I was working as normal on my computer the other night. I have a compac computor with windows XP. It works great (until now). I decided to run a virus scan using AVG Free. It was late so I went to bed and let the scan run. Forgot to check it in the morning so i didn't check again until that evening. When I went back to my computer the sceen was black, I asummed it to be in sleep mode. I was not able to awake it. I shut it down and have restarted several times but I get nothing. It doesn't even try to boot up. Does anyone have a clue what might have happened?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Wont Start?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Wont Start?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check
by Willy / July 13, 2005 11:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Computer Wont Start?

Unplug AC cord and wait 5min., reconnect AC cord, now try to power-up. What are the results? If still no boot, then you have a bad power supply or mtrbd. or both. The mtrbd. s"start ckt." lost its ability or blew. -OR- the power supply has blown. Usually the best to do is replace p/s and start from there. Replace with a higher wattage one if possible, it won't hurt the system to be more and better as the hi-wattage is room to grow on. Do this first before doing anything else, otherwise you may introduce other problems.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks for info
by amialki / July 14, 2005 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Check

Thanks for the info. I am not at home now so I will have to do this later. Is there a way to check the power supply with a meter or other device to see if that is the problem

Collapse -
Sure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2005 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for info
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PS-101&cat=CON notes a tool that some may need along with a Digital Voltmeter to affirm the voltages.

At the shop we also use an Oscilloscope to see if there are any spikes, dropouts on the supply lines. But all this is costly so it's reserved for those that won't just swap the PSU out and demand (they pay dearly) that proof that the PSU is dead or abberent. Usually we just do the quick power up check, and then a DVM if it comes up. If something is amiss or the PSU is overtaxed, over a year old we slide in a new whopper PSU. The success rate is too high to diddle with the old supply.

Bob
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?