General discussion

Computer won't turn on

Yesterday was simply plugging in a usb cable to download some pictures and the power suddenly shut off. Would not turn back on no matter how many times I tried. After about 10 minutes, it turned back on, and then 10 minutes later cut off, and will not come back on. Haven't had a chance to call Cyberpower's tech support. Any quick ideas?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Computer won't turn on
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Computer won't turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
A guess but not much to go on

If you think the problem coincided with plugging in the USB device, I would think the power supply could be marginal. It's also possible that you hit the heat threshold and just need to do some dust removal from CPU and other fans. What's the configuration of the PC and size of the PS?

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I think it is a 450watt supply. Running XP, 512 ddr, 3.2 P4. A friend said to try unplugging it from the strip plug for a good 20 minutes and then plug it back in and see what happens. I did clean up some dust around the fans, and I will check more closely to see if there is some more I missed. Will call Tech support at Cyberpower tonight and see what they say. Wish me luck in that.
Tahnks!

- Collapse -
power supply

You could try unplugging any unnecessary drives inside the box and unplug any USB devices to see if it will boot with minimal load on the PSU. I'd bet that it's bad, but you could find a PC friend with one laying around you could try the swap to see if that fixes it. It doesn't have to be 450 to test, an old 300 would work. At idle the PC uses maybe 200 w.

I don't think the USB cable was the straw that broke the camel's back it was probably coincidental. Old age, cheap build quality, and/or dust. (...or the USB shorted the Mobo, GAAAAAA, j/k Happy

- Collapse -
Same problem

Did you find a solution to your problem? I also have a system from Cyberpower and am experienceing a similar problem. Computer stays on for about 10 seconds before shutting off. I called tech support once, and they had me take the chip out and reset it. That was Friday night, and it didn't work, so have to call Monday.

CNET Forums

Forum Info