Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows 7 forum

Question

computer won't turn off, monitor goes into power saving mode

by grams663 / July 3, 2013 3:16 AM PDT

My daughter's computer is not working it is a HP with windows 7, model # p6533w. The power button will not turn off and the monitor goes into power saving mode but I can hear the computer running. I brought the computer home with me to hook it up to my outlets and monitor to see if it would work. It does the same thing. My computer is the same as my daughter's and it works just fine, no problems. Have any ideas as to what is wrong. Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer won't turn off, monitor goes into power saving mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer won't turn off, monitor goes into power saving mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
About the power off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2013 3:26 AM PDT

Are you writing that pressing and holding the power button for the usual 4 to 10 seconds does not power it down? If so the diagnosis is grim.

However try the usual generic reset of removing the power cable, then press and hold the power button for 60 seconds then release, apply the power cord and try again.
Bob

Collapse -
Computer won't turn off, monitor goes into power saving mod
by grams663 / July 3, 2013 2:02 PM PDT
In reply to: About the power off.

When the computer is plugged in the power is already on, the screen is black and the computer won't turn off. tried to power it off and can't. I have turned the monitor off then on and it shows it is in power saving mode then turns black again. The computer is almost 3 years old.

Collapse -
Then it's either a motherboard or power supply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2013 4:27 PM PDT

A tech would do the usual GREEN WIRE TEST but as presented it's not conclusive which part has failed.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
RE:computer won't turn off, monitor goes into power saving m

It could be that your monitor isn't connected to the right video output. Check at the back of the computer for VGA, HDMI and DVI ports that you can connect the monitor to. Also, if the monitor supports multiple inputs, check that it is set to either automatically detect which input to display or that it is set to display the input you are using, e.g. analog for the old style VGA connectors.

Collapse -
Computer won't turn off, monitor goes into power saving mode
by grams663 / July 3, 2013 2:27 PM PDT

Thanks for your reply. Will check these things out.

Collapse -
Answer
problems with the power supply
Collapse -
Answer
problems with the power supply

problems with the power supply, you can check the computer's battery power is not directly plugged
dat binh duong

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!