Computer Help forum

Question

Computer won't start, strange behavior. Can anyone help?

by PenMonk / August 18, 2014 9:55 AM PDT

Recently I've moved my computer, unplugging and unhooking everything. When I brought it back, and hooked everything back up it wouldn't work.

When I press the power button, the fans and lights turn on for several seconds, turn off, then back on. Nothing is ever displayed on the screen, I've re-seated the RAM and GPU as well as replacing the CMOS battery. Nothing changed.

The main light on the front of the case comes on as soon as i plug the computer in which doesn't seem right.

I've had an issue before where I had to take the CMOS battery out and put it back in in order to get the display working.

Nothing happened during travel that I thought would have done any damage.

Any help or ideas is much appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer won't start, strange behavior. Can anyone help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer won't start, strange behavior. Can anyone help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Have you
by Jimmy Greystone / August 18, 2014 10:16 AM PDT

Have you given each and every cable a good press to make sure it's firmly connected?

Collapse -
(NT) I haven't but I will. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks
by PenMonk / August 18, 2014 11:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Have you
Collapse -
Nothing :(
by PenMonk / August 18, 2014 11:30 AM PDT

I carefully unplugged and plugged everything back in and nothing changed

Collapse -
Then the next thing I'd do
by Jimmy Greystone / August 18, 2014 12:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Nothing :(

Then the next thing I'd do is make sure the CPU heatsink didn't get knocked askew. The system could potentially be shutting off to prevent damage.

Assuming that isn't the problem, you'll have to break it down to the bare essentials needed for POST. CPU and the minimum amount of RAM you can get away with. If it works, great, shut everything down and add one component at a time, testing each time until either it works again or you find the problem part. If not, I'd try each RAM module combination to be sure, but if that doesn't do it, either the motherboard or CPU was damaged in the move. My money would be on the motherboard... Something may have come loose in the move, hit the board, damaged it, etc.

It also does happen sometimes that things just up and die for no discernible reason. Maybe a decade or so back I had a printer. Left the thing turned off and unplugged for about two weeks while I was out of town. Came back and the thing was dead. It would power on, but that was it. Last Lexmark anything I ever bought, but that also had a lot to do with their idiotic legal antics trying to sue people for selling cheaper inkjet carts.

Collapse -
It appears to be working, but isn't
by PenMonk / August 19, 2014 12:48 AM PDT

I have done me best to make sure the heat sink was properly attached.

After it does the double boot thing i described, everything appears to be working but there is no display. I have removed everything but the CPU and RAM, and the same double boot thing happens. With everything removed I can't tell if it will work but I doubt it.

I have removed the GPU, after that can i use the on-board graphics to hook to my monitor?

Thanks for the help,
Josh

Collapse -
The double boot
by Jimmy Greystone / August 19, 2014 11:00 PM PDT

The double boot might be normal. Some motherboards, mostly those from ASUS, will use a double boot to do unwise things like overclock the memory bus. It'll give you a slight performance boost at the cost of system stability.

Don't be afraid to take the heatsink off and put it back on if you haven't already. If you do it within a minute or so you shouldn't need to worry about the thermal compound, but still would probably be wise to have some handy.

But at no point did you mention a CPU or motherboard, so assuming one or the other has an IGP, you should be able to use that as long as the video card isn't in. So start by breaking things down even more and getting rid of the RAM. You should get error tones from the motherboard if it's initiating the POST process. If that works, go back to the absolute minimum amount of RAM possible. I say that because some CPUs absolutely insist on matched pairs for RAM while others will let you get away with odd configurations. And you don't have any USB devices connected to the system except a mouse and keyboard, both of which are connected to ports on the back that are directly connected to the motherboard, right?

Collapse -
Sorry, i haven't had access to a computer in a while
by PenMonk / August 24, 2014 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: The double boot

Here are some specs if it will help
MOBO: Biostar H77MU3
CPU: intel i5
GPU: GTX 440
RAM: not sure but i know all cards are the same, i have 4 2GB sticks.
I've tried every combination of device plugged in without any changes. I did try it once with no RAM but it just kept beeping on and on.
Now with any combination of device and RAM ( and ive done 1,2,3 and 4 sticks in many combinations) it will just do as i described before. I plugged in the beeper which I had left out when i built it. When i try to start it it gives me three quick beeps pauses for a bit, then three more.

Thanks,

Collapse -
Forgot USB stuff
by PenMonk / August 24, 2014 2:41 AM PDT

I do only have a USB mouse and keyboard connected, and it is directly to the motherboard. However, they use one of those Logitech wireless receivers. Would it better to use a wired keyboard and mouse?

Collapse -
Also...
by PenMonk / August 24, 2014 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Forgot USB stuff

Also, i have tested the PSU with a mulitmeter and everything seemed fine. And i have plugged my hard drive into another PC and it worked fine, so I know that isn't an issue.

Collapse -
did you turn on your monitor?
by James Denison / August 21, 2014 6:51 PM PDT

Maybe it's just the display that's having a problem.

Collapse -
Im pretty sure its not.
by PenMonk / August 24, 2014 2:38 AM PDT

I have two different displays and I tried it with them both.

Collapse -
Answer
after all that
by James Denison / August 25, 2014 3:28 PM PDT

seems your choices are limited to PSU going bad, the CPU gone bad, or some other motherboard component failed.

Collapse -
thank you, what now?
by PenMonk / August 25, 2014 10:45 PM PDT
In reply to: after all that

Thats what I figured, that it was either the cpunor motherboard. What should I do next? Would a computer place be able to test either of those? I'd rather not go and replace the CPU if I don't have to.

Thanks for your help

Collapse -
Let's share how they test such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2014 11:34 PM PDT
In reply to: thank you, what now?

For the PSU they (if they are smart) look at the PSU then add 100 Watts to it for safety and then pop in a new PSU. No shop I know of today (our engineering lab is not a PC repair shop but we do repair our own) has the gear to do a good PSU test so they do the swap.

As to the CPU and motherboard, it's the same drill.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.