Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer won't start, HELP!!

This was my first time building a computer from scratch, obviously it wasnt one of my best ideas because now it wont start. I'll start from the beginning.

Ok, so I bought all necessary parts and installed them all aswell, the computer boots up and everything is going smoothly. I start to install Windows and half way through, the power supply shorts out. Small puff of smoke comes out of the case, smelled kinda like burnt rubber or something. Anyway, I checked the motherboard thoroughly and there were no burns of any kind on it. So I tried turning the machine back on. It worked for about 2 minutes and then turned off again. It did this several times.

I assumed the PSU was shot to hell and sent it in for a replacement, same model and everything. I hook up that one and then when I pressed the power button, the lights connected to the power supply flash, the fans connected also start but stop almost immediately, there is a Processor fan that connects through the motherboard that turns on and turns back off. And there is also a little light on the motherboard itself that turns on. So this leads me to believe that the motherboard is not damaged and that the PSU company is just a piece of crap and I should just get another brand.

So I purchase an Antec 500w power supply. High Hopes. Same thing.... Things just flash on and flash off.. I made sure that everything was seated securely in the machine but with no change. Things power on for less than a second before turning off. It's obviously not a PSU issue as I've had multiple of those in it now.

The only thing I could think that could possibly be wrong is that maybe I connected something wrong after removing the first power supply, or the power button is no longer working properly. I have no idea at all.

Any advice would be a big help. If you'd like to know the parts specifically then ask.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer won't start, HELP!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer won't start, HELP!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The motherboard LED. . .

In reply to: Computer won't start, HELP!!

is not really an indication of an OK motherboard. PS connectors and such are awfully hard to get wrong so I don't think it's that.

Try this. Disconnect everything from the motherboard; RAM, HD, optical drives, etc. and see if the PC will pass the POST and stay on. Now, Connect the HD and do it again. Next, the optical drive. Next one stick of RAM, and so on. If it fails off the bat, it's the motherboard.

As for the power switch, you can bypass it by shorting (with a small screwdriver) the two pins on the motherboard. Momentary short only.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: The motherboard LED. . .

Ok, I just began what you told me to do, disconnecting everything but the motherboard. But before I continue, I'd like to ask something. The computer DID turn on and stay on this time, but shortly after being turned on I heard 3 long beeps. Should I continue on? or is there something special I should do from this point on?

Thanks for such a quick reply.

Collapse -
IT WORKED

In reply to: The motherboard LED. . .

Omg, you have no idea how thankful I am to you right now. I have no clue what happened differently, but the computer works perfectly now. You're REALLY a life saver, I have so many computer intense classes this coming quarter that I thought I was going to cry.

You are truly a great person.

Thank you.

Collapse -
Well. . .

In reply to: IT WORKED

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.