Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer Won't Start!

Today when I tried to use my laptop, I started it up but it would show the XP start screen with the little green bar going across the bottom and then the screen would go black. Then the whole process would start up, I waited for five minutes to no avail and turned off my laptop. Is there a way to get it to work?

I don't have that laptop's specific system restore CD but I have older system restore cd's (both systems are XP home).

Does anyone know what to do? Is it possible to use those other CD's?

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Won't Start!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Won't Start!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Computer Won't Start!

In reply to: Computer Won't Start!

Just a word of warning. Using the CDs that don't belong to that laptop will cause too many issues. Don't do that.

Instead, why not boot up SAFE MODE and use System Restore back one day?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Computer Won't Start!

In reply to: Re: Computer Won't Start!

When I push F8 and select Safe Mode, I have the grey bar on the bottom fill up and then it goes back to looping the startup screen.

One time it wrote multi(0)disk...(0)paritition(2)/WINDOWS... over the entire screen and I couldn't catch the rest, then it flashed something with the word FATAL in it before it restarted.

Collapse -
Any new parts in there?

In reply to: Re: Computer Won't Start!

Some find such fun when they add a stick of ram. More clues please.

But even then the hardware side of me would unplug the AC supply, the battery and reseat the memory sticks in the laptop, put the battery back in and boot just with the battery. Here's why. When we boot most laptops with the battery, the CPU slows down and if there is an issue with the hardware we may get lucky. If not, back on AC power.

As it stands, without the proper restore CDs, you could use the machine if you had a KNOPPIX boot CD.

Read http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm

If you can't get to SAFE MODE, then you need to use the recovery CD to repair the OS. Of course that will fail if some hardware issue is in play.

I forget to ask this all the time, but you did unplug any USB, ethernet, printer and all that and try SAFE MODE? Or let it try to boot?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Any new parts in there?

In reply to: Any new parts in there?

Nothing was plugged in to the computer at the time - no USB, no AC, nothing.

I haven't installed any hardware.

The last thing I have done was install file recovery program - the recovery program couldn't recover the file so I uninstalled it, after that I installed a game demo.

Which recovery CD should I use though as my newest laptop required that I make it myself (it would take 9 CD-R's or a DVD and 1 CD) but I was going to do that today when this problem came up.

What would I use KNOPPIX for, it sounds interesting, but how would I make it a permanent fix so I don't have to rely on it?

Thank you so much though for the help so far Happy

Collapse -
That sounds like you can make it a warranty issue.

In reply to: Re: Any new parts in there?

But first, about Knoppix. It allows a person to "get into" the machine and save their files. Or use the internet, write a paper and more. It's an OS on a CD with common applications a person may need.

Next your comment "no USB, no AC, nothing" makes me wonder if the battery has just discharged too far. There was another posting where they were hoping to use the laptop without the AC adapter and the battery was... dead. Try AC power.

As to the subject, if the maachine didn't work long enough to make the restore CDs then its time to call HP or other and ask them what to do next.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: That sounds like you can make it a warranty issue.

In reply to: That sounds like you can make it a warranty issue.

I have Nero 6, what form of a bootable CD do I make for Knoppix - floppy emulation, hard drive emulation, or no emulation?

Thanks.

I'll probably end using the warranty thing and have them deal with it though.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.