Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer won't see my modem, even when I loaded the driver

by CousinSteve / October 22, 2003 8:31 AM PDT

Hi All,

I just bought a used P2, 350MHz, with 128MB RAM. I wiped the hard drive, formatted it, then loaded Win98SE. Then I loaded MS Office 2000, AOL, Netscape Communicator, Norton AntiVirus 2003, a printer driver and a driver for a CDRW. Everything went fine.

As soon as I was done with Win98SE, though, I noticed that the modem did not appear in the Hardware Profiles under

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer won't see my modem, even when I loaded the driver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer won't see my modem, even when I loaded the driver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Computer won't see my modem, even when I loaded the driver
by Mark G / October 22, 2003 9:39 AM PDT

windows has to see it first if it dosnt ask for a driver its not going to work:-(

Collapse -
Could you provide to us...
by FrankQTran / October 22, 2003 10:19 AM PDT

what brand of a modem you're having? Internal or external?

You said in the subject line: <b>'Computer won't see my modem, even when I loaded the driver',</b>
then in the main messages: <b>'...I loaded MS Office 2000, AOL, Netscape Communicator, Norton AntiVirus 2003, a printer driver and a driver for a CDRW. Everything went fine...'</b>

I didn't see the modem driver is loaded or not.
Sometimes you have to load the modem driver so Win98 can recognize it.

Regards,

Collapse -
by computertech / March 21, 2004 1:21 PM PST

you may have a resorce conflict with your com ports.. check the properties on each com port.. you might have to set them up manually, if your still having a problem please contact me at Jeff.bridges@verizon.net and i will try to help you out from there.
Jeff Computer techy

Collapse -
by Master_Chuck / March 21, 2004 1:42 PM PST

hello; I have been operating with windows 98SE since I bought my first computer and was having the same problem. Not only would windows have trouble finding the modem; it would lose it on a regular basis. This was cured when I found reg clean. I think it is listed on the CNET site; but here is the url direct.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,4666,00.asp
And the nice thing is; it is free. Hope it helps
regards Chuck

Collapse -
by boconnel / March 21, 2004 11:58 PM PST

I've noted the replies and they all seem valid, if your still having problems, from personal experience with the '98 operating system, I know this is long but will help eliminate any hardware issues. You may have to un-install/remove the drivers for the modem, shut down the computer (remove power cord) open the cover and physically remove the modem (assuming it's internal). Power the computer up without the modem. Now shut down the computer again and install/put back the modem (ensure it is firmly seated in its slot), close the cover and power up the computer. The operating system should now reconize the modem and prompt you to install the drivers. (It never hurts to have downloaded the lastest drivers for your modem that are configured for your operating system) Your modem should funtion as designed. If the operating system fails to see the modem you may have a defective modem.. hope this helps

Brian O'Connell
boconnel@bigfoot.com

Collapse -
''Unexplored territory''!
by Cursorcowboy / March 22, 2004 11:26 PM PST

Some US Robotics Windows-only modems may not be detected properly by Win9x. If a US Robotics Windows-only modem is not detected, and if the modem is not listed in Device Manager (either under the Modem or Other Devices branch), use the Wmregdel.exe file (tool) to clear all of the Windows-only modem-related registry entries. Restart the system and then install the correctly updated drivers. The "Wmregdel.exe" file (276480 bytes) is located in the Drivers\Modem\3com-usr\Winmodem folder on the Win98/98 Second Edition CD-ROM or can be downloaded from the furnished link, which may be an updated copy. In addition, please read through these "White papers" to obtain a general understanding, "there simply is to much unexplored territory to try and unravel all the software idiosyncrasies concerning a general modem description".

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.