Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer won't POST need help!

by swimmrdave / October 22, 2007 11:36 AM PDT

We recently had a wind storm and the power went out while my comp was on. After recovering power 15 seconds later, I tried to power up the computer. The case lights and all fans came on, but the monitor received no signal input, and the computer failed to POST (no beeps at all). I figured that meant the CPU, mboard, or ram was bad. I was wanting to upgrade anyway, so i ordered a new cpu, ram, mboard, and vid card. However, the computer is still doing the same thing. I know it isn't the hard drive, because the computer would at least beep at me and give a warning message that something's wrong. So my question is, it it my PSU? I didn't think so at first because of the fact that the computer turns on and all lights and fans turn on (including the vid card and cpu fans). I would appreciate it if someone could help me as soon as possible because I have a limited time to return the new parts if they turn out to be defective.

The old computer:

AMD X2 3800
2x1GB DDR
ASUS A8N-E motherboard
GeForce 7900 GTO
Antec True Power II 550 Watt PSU
WD 250 GB SATA2 HDD

The new:

AMD X2 6000
2X1GB DDR2
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Motherboard
GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
Same PSU & HDD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer won't POST need help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer won't POST need help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So you're saying after installing the new stuff it's still
by VAPCMD / October 22, 2007 12:02 PM PDT

doing same thing ?

VAPCMD

PS...Suggest adding a good UPS to ensure you don't have that instant off thing happen again.

Collapse -
Zap! Perhaps I'm wrong but
by Dango517 / October 22, 2007 12:04 PM PDT

I wouldn't replace the CPU, Motherboard, Power Supply, or RAM if I were having problems with the Monitor and possibly the sound card. I'd replace the monitor and after that then maybe the sound card. Why do you think the power outage made any of your hardware burn out? I'd look elsewhere maybe a disk check for instance. More then likely this is a software problem. After some thorough checking here then move on to hardware. You will need a monitor of course to do anything. An extension cord with a fuse in it might be a good investment as well, about $6. Perhaps your not sharing something with us like, lighting struck your house or a telephone pole feel on it. If this is the case then perhaps a new computer is the answer

This thread is not being tracked.

Collapse -
Monitor not the problem
by swimmrdave / October 22, 2007 1:58 PM PDT

The monitor isn't the problem, nor is software. The monitor works fine with other computers, and if it were a software problem the computer would post. And I don't mind the excuse to upgrade the comp anyway 'cause the wife couldn't argue. Of course, I didn't think that the PSU could be the problem originally, but I'm getting lots of feedback that says that's likely the case.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.