Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer won't display an image on any monitor I plug in....

by baofan / September 28, 2007 2:22 AM PDT

I just finished building my custom computer with parts from newegg (total cost was $1555. The power supply and fans seem turn on when I press the power buttom on my case, but I get no image display on any monitor I plug in (and the monitor lights remains orange instead of green).

So....could this be a problem with the processor? A problem with the video card? A broken motherboard? Please let me know.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer won't display an image on any monitor I plug in....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer won't display an image on any monitor I plug in....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No video on boot
by billzhills / September 28, 2007 7:15 AM PDT

Primary mistake all first time system builders make is not performing a bench boot.
This establishes that the MB/ CPU / Memory is not an issue.

Remove the MB from the case, place it on the box the MB arrived in. Attach only 1 memory stick, KB/mouse, power supply (do not forget the 4 pin connector for the CPU and on video card if exists) and monitor. Attempt boot, ignoring errors.

If system fails to boot, try, in order....
re-seating the CPU/HSF
clearing the CMOS
if exists, swap video card
swap memory and try different memory slots.

If the MB boots make sure the MB stand-offs are in correctly.
If they are not then you have shorted the MB preventing system from booting.

Install all memory and attempt another bench boot before returning the MB to the case, Connect only monitor, KB/mouse and attempt boot. If system boots attach the rest of your components. Except, if exists, a memory card reader. For some reason if this is attached Windows will be given/assigned the last drive letter during install.

If system fails to boot disconnect all components but one, attempt boot. If boot succeeds continue attaching one device per boot till boot failure. This will be the failed device.

In very rare cases, two that I personally know of, it is the Computer case that is preventing the system from booting.

Bill

Collapse -
good advice
by mementh / September 29, 2007 11:55 AM PDT
In reply to: No video on boot

very good advice for ANYONE not just the novice

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!