Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer won't boot.. very weird boot problems

by xven / February 9, 2009 7:44 AM PST

Hey guys, I was just installing RAM into my computer. After doing so, I started the machine and the monitor wouldn't work. I looked to see if the graphics card had come loose, but it was tightly held in place. I shut down the machine and tried turning it on again. Only this time, it wouldn't even power on with the power button. But as soon as I unplugged the main outlet and plugged it back in, it powered on by itself (without even pressing the power button), but only select components, namely graphics card and CPU. The rest, including network card (onboard), DVD-drives, etc would not turn on. I am completely perplexed by this situation. If anyone could give a few words of advice or point me towards a solution, I would greatly appreciate it as I would like to get back on my computer as soon as possible. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer won't boot.. very weird boot problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer won't boot.. very weird boot problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
add
by xven / February 9, 2009 7:45 AM PST

sorry, I forgot to mention, I did remove the additional RAM sticks. The motherboard is an ASUS A8V

Collapse -
You said the graphics card and CPU
by Steven Haninger / February 9, 2009 9:14 AM PST

but no network card or DVD drive. Does this mean you can't open and close the drive door and get no LED on the back of the NIC or does it mean you get the CPU and graphics card fan to come on but the system doesn't boot. Too much missing here. Do you see the POST screens and get to Windows desktop?

Collapse -
yes
by xven / February 9, 2009 11:46 AM PST

Network card leds don't flash, DVD drives don't open nor function. Basically, no power going to these units. Yes the CPU and GFX card fans come on, not sure if the components are powered on themselves or it's just the fans. Monitor doesn't show anything. The power button doesn't work either. When I plug the main power cord into the PSU and then turn the PSU switch on, right then the front led/fans come on, as well as the aforementioned fans. This is without pressing the power button, which doesn't work anyway. They just come on as soon as the power supply is turned on. It's such that only the fans in the system are running. Also they make a sound, signifying very weak power output. BIOS and POST is out of the question since the computer cannot be switched on. The connectors leading up to the front power button have been checked, as well as other power connectors. Could my motherboard be fried? Or maybe the PSU? Or maybe something else entirely. Thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
That's a better description
by Steven Haninger / February 9, 2009 7:26 PM PST
In reply to: yes

So all you get is fans and noises but no boot. And you said this happened immediately after you'd attempted an upgrade. The logical process now would be to check your own work. Re-seat everything that could have been dislodged. Disconnect all but the essential components. All you need is connected to the MB is the graphics card to see if a POST is attempted. It should display to the screen at least and end with no boot device found. Beep codes are important too. If you're hearing beeps that didn't happen before, they are trying to tell you something. It's possible that just the power supply has gone bad. Usually when this happens they may try to start but shut down almost immediately. Your fans come on and turn right off. This can mean the PS or an overload caused by some component or short circuit. Such is the reason for disconnecting everything. If the fans continue to run at least part of the PS works. You'd need a DVM to check for all the voltages. From here it becomes a process of ruling things out until you find what's broken. It would help to have another PC handy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.