Computer Help forum

General discussion

computer won't boot after taking out processor?

by trains40 / November 30, 2004 3:19 AM PST

My S.O. took out the processor on our Compaq Presario 5451 to put a bigger one in it. Couldn't find one so he put it back . Now the computer will not boot up. I checked to make sure he put processor back in right which he did. Processor is a 500 MHZ . 13 GIG harddrive running windows98 and 320 dimms memory. Can anyone help me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer won't boot after taking out processor?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer won't boot after taking out processor?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: computer won't boot after taking out processor?
by TONI H / November 30, 2004 3:54 AM PST

booting up and actually powering up are two different things........are you getting power to the motherboard at all (fans turning on, lights working, etc?)

TONI

Collapse -
by trains40 / November 30, 2004 4:12 AM PST

Yes fans and lights work it just doesn't bootup.

Collapse -
by TONI H / November 30, 2004 4:23 AM PST

Does the bios bootscreen come up on the monitor? A few more volunteered details would help here, please. If you are able to get into the bios, you might want to consider resetting it to 'load defaults' then save and exit. I don't know what kind of processor you have or motherboard, but newer ones can usually detect the correct speeds, etc. for the processor as it's powering up, but we don't know if you get that far, and if your 'bootup' issue only pertains to windows itself.

TONI

Collapse -
by trains40 / November 30, 2004 4:33 AM PST

No I don't get bios screen. All I get is powerup noise then nothing.

Collapse -
OK....if
by TONI H / November 30, 2004 4:54 AM PST

you get no beeps during this powerup, you either have a CPU that still isn't seated correctly or you have a computer that doesn't beep (I've had two already that don't), and you could have a RAM issue instead of the CPU. So first try pulling out the RAM and reseating it into the first slot in case it got bumped out of whack when your friend took out the CPU before. If that hasn't fixed it, you will have to pull the CPU again and make sure that the corner pin set that is on a diagonal is actually seated in the correct spot.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: OK....if
by trains40 / November 30, 2004 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: OK....if

Tried all those things all ready. CPU went right in the pin holes no problem. The Ram I did several times thinking the same thing you did but no luck. Could it be anything else? Thanks for trying to help

Collapse -
How about the CPU fan plug?
by TONI H / November 30, 2004 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: Re: OK....if

Is it attached on the motherboard on the proper pins? Or does it take a normal plastic power connector? If it's not plugged in to cool down the CPU, the CPU would overheat and burn up pretty quickly.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: How about the CPU fan plug?
by trains40 / November 30, 2004 5:35 AM PST

Yes it is pluged in the proper pins on motherboard, didn't unplug it when we took out the CPU. Any other ideas? I also thought of that one. I know a little about computers but I'm stumped on this one. Uaually can figure out things that are wrong but not this time.

Collapse -
How can you be so positive that
by Ray Harinec / November 30, 2004 6:59 AM PST

the CPU was installed properly???????

First, in order to remove it, the HSF had to be separated from the CPU [and to return, the thermal paste must be cleaned off and new paste applied]. Then, in order to release the CPU the ZIF [Zero Insertion Force] connector lever must be released and raised. The forums had a case about three weeks ago where the ZIF wasn't opened when the CPU was plugged in. Result, burned contacts, useless CPU.

And, of course, reinserting the CPU must be into the socket with the lever fully up.

Thirty years of troubleshooting says the problem is occurring at the site of the last CORRECTIVE LOL action at least 98% of the time.

Collapse -
Re: How can you be so positive that
by trains40 / November 30, 2004 12:51 PM PST

Made sure the pins we're in the right holes and they went right in place. Yes took off the fan unscrewed the screws but did not unplug the wires, just moved them over. did the paste also. Yes the ZIF connector was released and raised to get it out. Yes it was up to put it back in. I know that much. I'll look at it again .

Collapse -
Re: How can you be so positive that
by trains40 / November 30, 2004 2:21 PM PST

I went back and made sure that all my wires we're plugged in and tried to boot after. Guess what computer works again. Thank you so very much for taking the time to help me. I appreciate it very much God bless you.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Great news....thanks for letting us know
by TONI H / November 30, 2004 7:54 PM PST
Collapse -
by lonehand / December 1, 2004 1:49 AM PST

check the back of your computer to see if there is a on/off switch there. If there is it can easily be switch to the off position.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.