General discussion

Computer won't boot

I have an HP Pavilion 9900 configurable. It has a 1.2 GHz Athlon processor and 512 MB DDR RAM. I have had it several years, have taken perfect care of it, and have never had a single problem. However, yesterday I turned it on and it it didn't boot past the BIOS screen. Normally I hear the system scrolling through the drives at this point culminating in a system 'beep' and then it moves on to boot Windows. But now it just sits there. If I hit the power button, instead of turning off it immediately restarts and does the exact same thing.

I have verified the hard drive is not bad. All my cables are plugged in correctly. My suspicion is that the problem is the motherboard or memory. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I had just had my computer on ten minutes before and had no problems. This doesn't make any sense.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Computer won't boot
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Computer won't boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
But which Windows?
- Collapse -
Sorry

Windows XP Professional SP2

- Collapse -
Not applicable

That link does not help simply because I can't boot up far enough to even boot into Safe Mode. I get no errors or blue screens. It simply freezes at the HP logo screen.

- Collapse -
I thought it may not be.

There's a Tip: just every post you make that asks for such information. I offered an "example" link and it didn't apply.

Try this one -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308041

You're probably down to the in-place install/repair step.

bob

- Collapse -
It's not a Windows issue

The pc won't even make it to where I can boot into safe mode, or even enter the BIOS. It freezes at the HP logo screen and won't go any further.

- Collapse -
Then you are looking at repairing the PC.

What spare parts do you have to work with?

Did you remove what you can to reduce the issue to less parts?

Are you comfortable with repairing this machine?

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info