Computer Help forum

Question

Computer will not turn on at all.

by 24BW / March 27, 2014 10:46 AM PDT

Hello,

My computer will no longer turn on at all, I tried unplugging it for awhile etc, there is no response. There is no light on the back to check. It is a hp pavilion, back says a000 front says a706n, however, it has been repaired etc. numerous times as our family computer till it was given to me and I think it is a mix of different hp pavilion parts now. The lines were being worked on this week and the power went off and on for awhile, it was plugged into a surge protector and was off..I think that's the only thing that has changed recently. I'm mostly wondering if there is anyway to test what may be wrong with it ? It is an old not so great computer but it's the only one I have and I'm mostly just concerned that I will lose the pictures that were on it, I am in between jobs and will not be buying any replacement parts atm.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer will not turn on at all.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer will not turn on at all.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Given zero budget.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2014 10:49 AM PDT

Time to subscribe to freecycle.com, and the free area of the craigslist and watch for either a complete PC or another.

Remember you set the rules. I can't guess what tools and experience you have in repair so for now, subscribe and hope for a freecycle.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. I see this used the Athlon exposed core CPU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2014 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Given zero budget.
Collapse -
If no power at all Power suply.
by PinonEd / March 27, 2014 11:32 PM PDT

If no lights comes on is the power supply , power cord or outlet on the wall.
if you see lights come on but black screen it could be video chip or south bridge chip.

Do not worry about the information on your hard drive if your machine do not work the hard drive still could be on good shape. just read the hard drive from another machine.

I repair motherboards and recover info from hard drives.

Collapse -
Remember this is ZERO budget.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2014 11:56 PM PDT

And it is from the days of BAD CAPS and the rather treacherous exposed core CPU that you can see what happens in the video. I don't see a lot of these in the shops or repair counters as most have expired.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
heat sink
by PinonEd / March 27, 2014 11:47 PM PDT

I test my motherboards without heat sink for up to 10 seconds and as long as the chips do not exceed 230 deg F.
every thing is all right.

the problem is bad if you connect the heat sink to the motherboard and place it on the processor without thermal compound.

I just say it for my experience. hundreds and hundreds of motherboards i worked on.

Collapse -
Answer
Look into...
by Willy / March 27, 2014 11:50 PM PDT

Open the case with AC cord removed for now. Look inside and observe when you return the AC cord. There should be a LED lite present, is it "ON"? If nothing is ON as in that LED, then true power loss is present. If its that old, then do you really want to save it. You can remove the HD and access it using an ext. USB adapter or case that fits your HD needs then retrieve data. The PSU itself should be generic enough unless you have the micro-ATX style which is yet smaller than typical ATX generic. One or the other, should allow you to fix or access your data/PC.

As Robert offered, you can post on Craigslist or FreeCycle to see if anyone may supply a free or cheap part -OR- loan??? , check it out.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
:-(
by 24BW / March 28, 2014 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Look into...

I can not find any led light. I don't really care about having a computer so much as retrieving the pictures that were on it. Guess I'll google how to go about doing that and what all I need. Hopefully they are retrievable.

Thanks everyone.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?