PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Computer Will Not Start!

by alexander9 / January 17, 2006 3:13 AM PST

I have a computer with a GA-8S648FX motherboard and Pentimu 4 processor and 512 MB of PC3200 memory, build it my self about 3 years ago was working find then just would not start. Powersupply starts but I do not get the beep that tells you everything is working, processor memory and motherboard! This happend about a year ago also but took it all apart, just to make sure everything was ok, then put it back together again and it worked until now! Did the same but this time no luck! Anybody have any ideas??? Thank's!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Will Not Start!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Will Not Start!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) motherboard problem maybe?
by nerdyboy1234 / January 17, 2006 10:37 AM PST
Collapse -
BIOS..
by jackintucson / January 18, 2006 2:30 AM PST

If you are getting the BIOS splash screen go into the BIOS and disable it. Reboot. You should see the progress on your screen. Maybe that will tell you where it is stopping. If you don't get anything, check memory first. Also, is the board power light on? Are any fans running? Which ones? Until then, can't recommend much else.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Bios!
by alexander9 / January 18, 2006 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: BIOS..

I can not get into the bios! The board power is on and the processor fan and the case fan turn on! I will check the memory. Thanks? Jack!

Collapse -
windows
by willy2001 / January 18, 2006 6:25 AM PST

Hiya,
are u using a valid version of windows because some of the bootleg versions are being shut down by microsoft..
This happened to me a few months ago, all was well then the putter just wouldnt start.. installed another verion of windows and it started fine ( must have been some security setting within the auto updates)..
so if you are using a bootleg version of windows that could be the problem of its not bootin..

willy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hahahaha, funny.
by Bi0-Hazard / January 18, 2006 9:05 AM PST
In reply to: windows
Collapse -
Windows!
by alexander9 / January 19, 2006 2:42 AM PST
In reply to: windows

Hey Willy I have everything disconnected, only the basic motherboard processor memory and video card, and I can?t even get to the bios or it does not go through POST so Windows is not the problem at least not yet. It was working find with a valid version of windows anyway. Thanks anyway!!!

Collapse -
same problem
by KrazyTrumpeter05 / January 27, 2006 2:31 PM PST
In reply to: Windows!

I have the exact same problem with my computer. All the fans and lights will go, I can even hear the CD drives click on, but I can't get a startup screen or anything. Have you tried a BIOS recovery? Your mobo manual should explain how to do that, but it didn't work for me. The only other thing I can think of is that there might be a short in the motherboard somewhere. Or maybe the CMOS battery needs to be replaced. Oh, I built my computer about a year ago. Intel D925XCV motherboard, 3.4 ghz pentium extreme edition processor, Saphire X800 XL 512MB PCI-Express video card, 2.5 gigs of 533Mhz RAM, 500 watt power supply. If anyone can help either of us, I would greatly appreciate it. I've been without my computer for about a week now and it's driving me nuts.

Collapse -
power supply
by jjwilliams73 / January 29, 2006 11:30 PM PST

I assume you have done this when you say that you took it completely apart but just in case you meant you just disconnected the peripherals (pci cards, drives), try disconnecting the power supply to the MB. My computer was doing the same thing for the past two days, not showing any disk activity, post tests or bringing up anything on the monitor. This started after adding a new NIC. This morning I just gave a tug on the power to the MB and then pushed it firmly on, and it works fine.

Collapse -
I guess I was wrong
by jjwilliams73 / January 30, 2006 11:02 PM PST
In reply to: power supply

Although it appeared to fix it temporarily, after a couple reboots, the same problem is recurring and my 'fix' is not fixing it. I am going to try replacing the CMOS as I assume that it must be the BIOS or the MoBo, though I am thinking more the Mobo since the screen does not respond (although would that occur if the CMOS is dead too?)
Any body have any other ideas as to what it may be?

Collapse -
Fixed!!!
by alexander9 / January 31, 2006 1:56 AM PST
In reply to: power supply

Hey guys the problem was the motherboard! Took computer into the shop we tested the memory first nothing happend the powersupply next nothing the processor nothing took everything off the MB put all of it on another MB and it worked! Thank you all for your help!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?