Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer will not shut down

by Shian / May 24, 2007 8:27 AM PDT

I'm using Windows XP. When I select shut down, nothing happens. Any ont has any ideas? I'm not too sure if I want to forcefully shut it down, don't have backups

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer will not shut down
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer will not shut down
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
another thing
by Shian / May 24, 2007 8:39 AM PDT

how do i back up my files?
I can't find the button...

Collapse -
If Necessary, Push The Power Button In For 15 Seconds
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 24, 2007 10:24 AM PDT

That should cause the computer to shut down correctly..

Next, after you restart, you probably need to do some computer clean up using the instructions in the link below.. It may take a while to perform the procedures but it should help it run and shut down better:

Cleanup Things To Do/b]

In order to backup the computer, there is no special "button" that does it.. Tell us more about your machine. As long as you have the Recovery CDs that came with the computer, you only need to copy your important documents, "My Documents" and any movies, pictures, or music files to an removal media of some sort.. Do you have a DVD burner, a CD burner, and external hard drive, or a flash driver where you can save files to.. We need more information .

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
sorry guys, had to go away..
by Shian / May 25, 2007 4:07 PM PDT

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Computer:
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
3.01 GHz, 1.00GB of RAM

Things written on my receipt:
INTEL 3GH 64BIT 775 CPU BOX
ASUS P5GD2-X-UAYZLGA775 M/B 912P/DDR2/PCX/GLAN/STA
KINGSTON 512/533 DDR2 RAM
SONY-16XDVDRW/DOUBLELAYER BOX
SONY 52X IDE BOX CDROM

Any other info I missed out?

I'll be trying the steps now. I pray it'll work.

Collapse -
check power setings
by lodge2 / May 25, 2007 2:34 PM PDT

it could be the power setings are set to allways on;to check right cilk desktop/properties/screensaver/monitor power/power schemes/?
at the drop menu you can select which one fits your computer+ you can set the other properties as well hope this helps. lodge

Collapse -
Shian
by tomron / May 25, 2007 2:50 PM PDT
Collapse -
How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs bit...
by Shian / May 26, 2007 12:23 AM PDT

I tried the cleaning up and my computer managed to shut down alright. Next time I start it up, it won't shut down again.

I'm trying the "How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs" bits but I can't find the properties tab in the properties the performance step.

I tried searching the database and only saw this MMC program which looks totally alien to me.

Should I just continue on to the msconfig step?

Collapse -
Shian
by tomron / May 26, 2007 2:29 AM PDT

In the "How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs",did you try the links "Windows 2000 and XP" and "Windows XP"

Or you can try this LINK

Start>control panel>administrative tools>services.

Try to avoid using msconfig,can cause problems if not done right.

Tom

Collapse -
HooRaa
by frisco-rigid / May 26, 2007 2:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Shian

A while back I asked if anyone remembered the link for the Robin Good masternewmedia website link you provided in this thread... I mistakenly thought it was a Kaspersky site so no one was able to assist,,, but,,, this is it... I bet it was you that provided it in the other thread sometime ago where I got it ther first time...
I followed the advice about shutting down stuff on this site and my game computer never ran better... After a screw-up where I lost and couldn't find the link, I tried other shut-down advice but my computer didn't run as well...
Thanks tomron you get a gold star from me...

Collapse -
(NT) Your welcome,thanx for posting back
by tomron / May 26, 2007 3:12 PM PDT
In reply to: HooRaa
Collapse -
If You Read The Link Carefully...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 26, 2007 4:46 AM PDT

...it says: "For Windows 2000/XP, ignore the first couple of sentences about checking "resources" and the "Performance tab in the link below but follow the rest of the procedures including the "Services" links at the bottom." (There is no "Performance" tab on Windows XP.)

Still, shutting down unneeded services and startup programs will frequently fix your problem unless its a power supply issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.