Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

computer will not detect my harddrive

by hankace72 / September 1, 2008 1:41 AM PDT

i have a notebook hp compaq nx9420 i bought it and was told that all i need to do was wipe out the hard drive i went and bought a new one and installed it went to install windows xp and the computer tells me it cant detect the hard drive can someone help me i think there might be a security feture on the mother board i want to know if its possible to correct this i can work in the bios the cpu can read the cd drive but will not detect the hard drive

what i did was took out old drive put in new one then inserted windows xp then went to intall it starts the set up then prompts me to continue install hit enter and when i do that the message come right away cant detect drive hit f3 to end set up and thats it im i even doing this right?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer will not detect my harddrive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer will not detect my harddrive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's the usual SATA hard disk issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 1:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
computer wont detect hard drive
by hankace72 / September 1, 2008 2:05 AM PDT

thanks bob i checked out the hp site on the specs and its exacttly what my computer is and the section on the security features is what my computer has i need to know if thats why it wont detect my drive and if there is anyrthing i can do to the mother board also the new drive the store sold me was a 250 gb drive at 5400 rpm is it possible this drive is the wrong one as there was an 80gb 7200 rpm that was in there also do you have any experience dealing with these security fetures and getting around them as im not the original owner and have no discs expecpt my copy of xp that i used to format my home pc with

Collapse -
What is "it"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 2:09 AM PDT

XP or the laptop? You have to be clear here since XP never does detect a SATA drive unless there is some floppy disk with a driver, BIOS IDE emulation or other. I shared links for your to get up to speed on that issue so you shouldn't be asking me about XP.

Let's say the laptop shows no hard disk (you didn't tell us.) Then the BIOS has an issue.
Bob

Collapse -
what is it
by hankace72 / September 1, 2008 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: What is "it"?

sorry bob i m really new at this and im trying to do this myself as a tec has already ripped me off i will look into what you sent me allready thanks hankace

Collapse -
Details matter. Little things like which OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: what is it

I see you wrote XP Pro but this laptop needs "Windows

Collapse -
little things matter
by hankace72 / September 1, 2008 6:06 AM PDT

thanks bob the disc i have i a copy of win xp pro sp2 im having a tech come over today and help me perform the driver instalation so xp will recognize the sata driver but i think the problem is on the mother board with some sucurity feture being locked but still not sure thanks for all your help hankace

Collapse -
Are your sure?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: little things matter

In some machines we use the F6 FLOPPY. Others we flip the SATE "mode." Are you willing to try such?

Collapse -
problem fixed
by hankace72 / September 1, 2008 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Are your sure?

thanks all so much your help got me going in a totally different direction but it was exactly what i needed my problem was fixed with using a sp2 version of windows xp again thank you all so much i will refer everyone to this site that is having problems i will definitly come back for help. hankace

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.