General discussion

Computer will not boot

I recently replaced my HD with a WD80G drive, I installed the HD and ran the CD that came with it.

Since the computer was given to me I did not have any boot discs or CD's or OS to install so I purchased the full version of XP home edition for $200.00.

Upon placing the CD into the drive to install it the system told me that Setup will now format the HD which I did, after the formatting I got a blue Windows setup screen showing me that the setup files are being installed to a folder on the HD.

Once setup reached 100% the system told me that it would reboot and install XP, once it rebooted after it detected the HD as Primary master and the CD as Primary slave and secondarys being none, the cursor justs sits there and blinks after the word "none" and nothing happens.

I went into BIOS to show the new hardware and to change the boot settings to all possibilities but the system still will not boot up.

I have spent around $500.00 on hardware and software for this thing and nothing is working, I need some serious help with this.

P3 500MHz
128MB ram
MOBO ??
CPU??
HD WD80GIG

All help would be appreciated!

Posted by: Tundra Posted on: 02/16/2005 11:56 AM

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Computer will not boot
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Computer will not boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Compare with this document.
- Collapse -
Tell us more re

""" I recently replaced my HD with a WD80G drive, I installed the HD and ran the CD that came with it."""

What CD did you run from the drive MFR. You may have formatted the drive with an overlay program that Windows can't read.

Did you run the overlay BIOSprogram because your existing BIOS wouldn't recognize that large a drive??? That's a fairly old sytem and thight might have been the case.

- Collapse -
""" I recently replaced my HD with a WD80G drive, I installe

I am not sure what you mean by what CD did I run from the drive MFR. I used the XP CD to format the HD as I was prompted to.

How do I run the overlay BIOS programm?

- Collapse -
Simply re-read the first line of

your post. You said that you used the CD that came with the drive, that is usually referring to a format disk from the drive MFR.

Seems possible that Robert also mis understood.

Do you see the entire drive size in the BIOS????

What size is reported??

- Collapse -
Drive size

Ray,

I was told by someone to not use auto-detect in BIOS,
I was told to got into BIOS and use the second feature and set everything to auto and it should work.

If I use auto-detect it shows me three options to choose from and I do not know which one to use.

If I choose the first option it does not detect the HD,
I am not sure what size is reported since I am at work and the computer is at home.

Bob

- Collapse -
I meant exactly what you are doing

have the drives set to AUTO in the first BIOS screen. I DID NOT mean to run the auto detect in the BIOS to get the parameters to set in.

Yes, with everything in AUTO it should work.

- Collapse -
You misunderstood my question.

When the system is booting [NOT going into the BIOS] you will get a screen that shows all of the drives that were detected, their parameters and memory info et al. That is usually called the boot screen or BIOS screen. If you hit the "pause" button when the screen comes up it will pause there and give you as much time as needed to read the data. I was asking if the Hard drive shows the correct size in that screen. When you hit enter, then the boot will continue.

- Collapse -
Up and running

Ray,

I am sorry that I misunderstood your question.

I do have some good news!........I am up and running again!

I got some info from Western Digital and I had to trick BIOS by manually setting the cylinders and heads in BIOS for the HD.

These settings trick the BIOS by thinking the drive is much smaller than it actually is (528MB)

After doing this I could reboot, install the HD and format it and then install my XP.

Once it rebooted after the installation of the HD I went back and set the HD in BIOS to auto and everything works fine so far.

Thank you for all of your help!

Bob

- Collapse -
Thanx very much for keeping us informed.

Interesting solution. Do you have the full 80 GB to work with [actually 7x,xxx in Windows terminology]???

- Collapse -
Up and running

Ray,

Yes, I do have the full 80G to work with! I was very surprised that everything is working.

I tried to install Norton Back-up from the anti-virus CD and I get a message stating that the drive is to large to back up.

Thanks again!

CNET Forums

Forum Info