PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Computer will not boot

by Darrell Johnson / May 2, 2006 10:46 PM PDT

HP a345w W XP Pro. Orig. asked in XP forum no help. Thiking it might be hardware problem.
The plastic holder on heatsink broke. Put on a new heatsink & fan. Paste on heatsink. Tried to boot and fan on heatsink comes on for 2 seconds and shuts off.Tied new power supply and new harddrive. Still will not boot. HP support said take it to Best Buy. I am sure someone here will have the answer. Thanks for your help. Darrell

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer will not boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer will not boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not enough clues yet. But the broke item could be...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2006 11:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Computer will not boot

A clue the motherboard has suffered some damage. The problem with home repairs is the lack of diagnostics to tell us if it's a CPU, board or such. In this case I'd get a CPU and motherboard combo and move onto the new machine.

Bob

Collapse -
cpu & motherboard
by Darrell Johnson / May 2, 2006 11:38 PM PDT

Where do you get the combo and how much is cost. Thanks

Collapse -
This is one of those "depends on" problems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2006 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: cpu & motherboard

The issue here is cost. While HP is your source (ebay too?) for the replacement set (we go for the set since with most homes we can't test which part it is) the problem gets deeper since the Operating System (OS) is locked to HP's machine.

If you have a "Retail" version of the OS then we can entertain CPU and motherboard combos from other places and even consider a new case/power supply since HP's price on motherboards is not known to be that great.

Remember, this is how it is outside a shop since we don't have spares to swap in to find out exactly what part it is.

-> Forgive me but details are still slim on the machine. If it's more than a few years old and even then I check the BIOS or CMOS (terms vary) BATTERY since when it's too low some machines will not beep or boot.

I hope you see why there is no clear "do this" answer. In some cases a new PC is cheapest.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for your help. Darrell
by Darrell Johnson / May 3, 2006 12:09 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.